Dwarf research

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone I gotthe info from Gus for Texas A&M

The checks need to be payable to "TAMU Foundation". They need to be mailed to Jerry Zalmanek's attention at the address shown below to this person. The accompanying letter should state that the funds are to be earmarked for the benefit of research endeavors in the area of Miniature horse dwarfism and there are no stipulations on their use. Once an acct number has been established, it would be helpful to have it listed in the letters as well.

Merrie Noak

Business Coordinator I

Dept. of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences

Texas A&M University

4458 TAMU

College Station, TX 77843-4458

Attention Jerry Zalmanek

Any questions email please email me.

John

Thank you, John, for the additional information! I do have a question, which I will ask here, as it might also be pertinent for others--May I send the information I am in the process of getting together--photos, of dwarf, sire, and dam, and pedigrees of same(no blood, as all are long gone from here)--to Dr. Cothran at his previously published address at the U. of Kentucky, and my check for donation to the research to the Texas A & M address you just added? (I have already sent off for a raffle ticket, to Libby Rosen.)

My donation can't be very large, but just think--if EVERY AMHA(and AMHR, for that matter!)sent only $10 or so, that would provide ,at the very least, an excellent start to the needed research!!

As Secretary of our state AMHA-approved club, I will be taking all of this information to our next Board and regular club meetings!

Again, thanks!

Margo Cox-Townsend

Yes you can still send the information you asked about to the University of Kentucky address. Dr. Cothran will be there until April and the research will continue there also when he moves to Texas.

1. From live dwarf miniatures;

Send to Gus Cothran- Dept of Veterinary Science 108 Gluck Equine Research Center University of Kentucky Lexington KY 40546-0099

A. Picture of animal ( very important so he can look at same types of problems together)

B. 2 tubes of blood in lavender or yellow topped tubes. Label tubes with "dwarf" Ship ups 2 day

C. 2 tubes of blood as above from sire and dam if possible. Label " sire" "Dam"

D. Pedigree of sire and dam if you are willing to send it.

2. Any donations of money can be sent To Dr. Gus Cothran please use address below;

A. Please put for Miniature horse dwarf research in memo.

The checks need to be payable to "TAMU Foundation". They need to be mailed to Jerry Zalmanek's attention at the address shown below to this person. The accompanying letter should state that the funds are to be earmarked for the benefit of research endeavors in the area of Miniature horse dwarfism and there are no stipulations on their use. Once an acct number has been established, it would be helpful to have it listed in the letters as well.

Merrie Noak

Business Coordinator I

Dept. of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences

Texas A&M University

4458 TAMU

College Station, TX 77843-4458

Attention Jerry Zalmanek

Right now any research involved with me is at UK, and I AM the one actually doing the hands-on research. I am staying at UK and continuing my research at UK and anyone that wants to send samples and or money donations to UK can send it now and after Gus leaves you can put it attention John Eberth. Since the check would be made out to UK I would obviously not be cashing them, I would be giving them to the Gluck center to earmark for my research there. Right now there is no research being done at TAMU until Gus gets there, and the samples that they use will be the ones sent in and/or the ones from me. I hope this clears up some of the confusion on "who" is actually doing the "what" and "where" it is being done.

John

I have a little, what I THINK is a dwarf miniature horse with an uncommon severe angular limb deformity... I'd love to contribute to the cause if I could.

Here's her webpage...

www.mybrokenangel.com

Let me know if I can help out with the research end.

Leah

Leah, if nothing more, you can pull some of Tao's mane hairs(make sure you get the root or little bulb at the base of the hair approx. 30 +) and send her pictures, taken from both sides and from the front, list her Dam & Sire and any information you have on them, and send to Dr. Cothran...this alone will be a LOT of help to the dwarf research program!
default_yes.gif
:

When the equine dentist, Carl Mitz, was here awhile back, that is what he did with all my dwarves, plus took a tissue sample(from their gums) and sent it into the dwarf research for me...he collects all this info. as he sees lots of dwarf minis in his travels across the U.S.
default_smile.png
Later on, I gathered up all the background information I could on all my babies and e-mailed it to Carl, then he sent it on to Texas A & M for me. :bgrin

Back