When should I deworm and vaccinate my foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
My little filly
wub.gif
is already 6 weeks old! I can hardly believe it. She is growing like a weed and doing just wonderfully - a constant source of entertainment for all of us around here
biggrin.gif
. Now onto my question. When do I first deworm her and also get her her first shots? I dewormed my mare the day she foaled and then again last week if that means anything. Also, her umbilical stump hasn't completely dried up and fallen off yet. Should I be worried about that? Thanks in advance!

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Rachel,
saludando.gif
[/SIZE]

We start worming our foals at 2 months and once a month after that until they are 1 year old! We give them there first shots at 5 to 6 months of age or as our vet recommends, with a booster shot 30 days after the first! The Umbilical stump sometimes takes a while to dry up and fall off! As long as there is no swelling around the stump, it should be just fine!
yes.gif
We love to watch the babies play here also!
aktion033.gif

Bill

I would talk to my vet were I you, just because they get a better idea of your conditions and particular needs for your horses.

My vet recommends vaccinations beginning at 6 mo. for my area/horses, and worming to begin at 6 weeks as a rule. Zimectrin is a good wormer to use as it has a high safety margin, also Eqvelan, or pyrantel, I think it is is a good one, but definitely run it by your vet.

Liz M.

Deworming at 2 mo's and 4way vaccination at the vets first farm visit after foal reaches 30 days. During summer vet attends farm regularly.

Did you deworm the mare when she foaled and was she dewormed regularly before foaling?? If Yes, you can wait until two months, although I never do. I deworm at ten days with Fenbendazole (Panacur) and at one month with Ivermectin, and then at three months with the five day Guard (Fenbendazole again) Then I do them routinely with the mares. I am just about to do my first ever tapeworming as I suspect a colt who has come in and, if you do one, you have to do them all.

IF the mare had her booster shots 1 month prior to foaling....the foal shouldn't need it's first shots until 5 - 6 months old. If the mare did NOT have her boosters 1 month prior to foaling, the foal will need to be started on shots earlier. Check with your vet on this & get their recommendations.

Latest posts

Back