New mom needs advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginaoz

Reaction score
I am going to be picking up not only my first mini but my first horse ever in a week or two after she is weaned. I have a stable arranged and a trainer picked out for both of us. My question for all of you with mini experience is whether I should also get two? I've been told by several "experts" that keeping a weanling by herself in a stall is less than ideal even if I work with her daily. The ranch I am purchasing her from has several colts available that I could take at the same time. I would have him gelded as soon as possible. What do you all think? Am I crazy or would it be a good idea?

Sincerely,

Gina

Novato, Ca

Horses are a herd animal, so getting a second isn't a bad idea.  We got our first mini in 1990. She was an older weanling, but we also had 4 pygmy goats to keep her company initially. Two months later we bought a second filly and the two were best buddies and I think our first girl was happier.  However, our first one also bonded to US much more before we got her friend. She and I are still bonded more than any of our others we've since bought (or rescued).... She's 28 now and yes, we still have her......The second filly, died a few years ago from cancer.

The bonding to me is one of my top concerns. Thank you for your advice. I'm so excited to be a new mom but overwhelmed at the same time. I know most people don't start their horse career at 54 and so I appreciate any advice. Someone suggested a goat so maybe I should re-visit that suggestion.

Three better than two days if you have the resources.  Two will work and they will keep each other company, but it you ever want to take one off the property you have the one left behind to think about, and usually (in my experience) the one left behind can raise all kinds of heck.  The times I have had good luck with just two horses has been when the other horse was an older, been there done that, type of horse who has had plenty of experience being in different environments.  Maybe you could get an older mini as a buddy?  Around here we call them "babysitters" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, its a little like a bag of chips , you cant just have one. Horse are herd animals , so do much better with company.

And your never too young to learn. I have had horses for over 30 years now and still learning :)

I started with one, quickly graduated to two, now I have five....

I have those, in my herd, who don't care if they are separated from the rest and those who are pretty buddy sour. I have some that have bonded to me much more than others. I think it has a lot to do with personality. My colt, Perry, is super independent. From day 1 he didn't care about being around his momma or any other horse. He just did his own thing. He's super sweet and is developing great ground manners but I'm loving that he's so independent. He had 4 other minis to buddy up with but he just never cared if he was alone. Like I said, I think a lot of that has to do with a horses individual personality.

Just remember that you'll have to times everything by 2. Vaccines, dental work, worming, farrier, feed.... And everything but the feed bill is the same as with the big guys. Welcome and we look forward to pics!

I am going to be picking up not only my first mini but my first horse ever in a week or two after she is weaned. I have a stable arranged and a trainer picked out for both of us. My question for all of you with mini experience is whether I should also get two? I've been told by several "experts" that keeping a weanling by herself in a stall is less than ideal even if I work with her daily. The ranch I am purchasing her from has several colts available that I could take at the same time. I would have him gelded as soon as possible. What do you all think? Am I crazy or would it be a good idea?

Sincerely,

Gina

Novato, Ca
Hi Gina
My wife and I just purchased three today here in Texas. We are also in the same ballpark as you, we’ve never owned a horse of any kind before. We will bring them home in 3-4 weeks. They are a little older, 7-8 month old colts. We are looking forward to having them and want to learn everything we can to help in their transition to our home. We are fencing in approximately 2.5 acres for them and will build a small lean-to for shelter. Pictures are below.
Jim

Attachments

• 3C137314-3376-47DE-98C9-F222E317A852.jpeg
    3C137314-3376-47DE-98C9-F222E317A852.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 5B10733A-2A06-409C-9620-C62695D69256.jpeg
    5B10733A-2A06-409C-9620-C62695D69256.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 314CB7D2-8A15-4E81-80FC-50D46C2A9987.jpeg
    314CB7D2-8A15-4E81-80FC-50D46C2A9987.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1
I rescued my first mini (and first horse ever) 3 years ago. He was only 2 & I had him gelded right away. He was alone for about a year which gave us time to bond. He's still very attached to me & is totally my baby. I then rescued a 2 yr old Philly to give him company. She was very mistreated but got very attached to my gelding immediately. They are inseparable now. I consider her his horse & he is my horse. They are much happier with a companion for sure.

Latest posts

Back