CSquared2

HELP: Newborn has tucked rear legs and unable to walk.

There is a therapy called  'patterning' used for children but also used for animals.  It will most likely take 2 people to implement it.   The foal should be standing, one person to steady it on one side and the other person on the other side, taking turns moving the legs one by one in a natural gait. It 'teaches' the body hopefully instilling muscle memory. Once is not enough, must be repeated.  Just a suggestion, I had a dummy foal that we used on it with success.   I am not a vet, but raised many foals and can agree that if cramped in the womb it is possible there is a chance with time and massage all will be well.  I wish you well.

Please click here to view our members Mini Horses, Ponies, and Tack for Sale ads!

Turns out she has luxated patellas. Surgery is the only option. Still thriving with my assistance nursing every hour. I’m half dead, but she’s worth it. 

My MIL won’t cover the cost of surgery so I will be working on finding a vet school willing to do the surgery. 

2 hours ago, CSquared2 said:

Turns out she has luxated patellas. Surgery is the only option. Still thriving with my assistance nursing every hour. I’m half dead, but she’s worth it. 

My MIL won’t cover the cost of surgery so I will be working on finding a vet school willing to do the surgery. 

Interesting. 

I had a foal several years ago, with a similar stance, but he passed within 24 hours, so didn't have a chance to see a vet.  I think mine came a bit early.

I think your foal has contracted tendons, not the other think.

We have had two foals born with the same problem. One passed away 24 hours after due to difficult delivery. The second one recovered and is completely normal.

The foal is big and probably didn't have enough room in the dam.

The foal will straighten out with time. May take a couple weeks.

• Like 1

How do you know the foal has luxating patellas? Perhaps in a newborn, they are luxating for a specific reason. Due to positioning inside of dam, lack of space etc.  Is she straightening out at al yet??  Can you post new pics and possibly short video clip?

• Like 1