My colt is 2 years old and hasn't dropped yet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opie2017

Reaction score
Is it true that surgery could be very expensive getting him gelded IF he has not dropped by now?

Yes, crypt surgery can be quite expensive compared to regular gelding surgery; sometimes as much as 5x more than regular surgery (possibly more than that depending on the region and vet).  

Sometimes, upon sedation, they pop to the surface and regular gelding can be performed.   Many minis don't drop until 3-4 years old, so if you have room to keep him separate from mares, give him a bit more time (at the very least til next spring).   Have you palpated the region?  Or, just looked and don't see?

Don't give up hope yet.  I was able to do one of mine at two; the vet said as long as it was the size of a kernel of corn he could get it.  But if you have to do crypt surgery, you will be doing him and the entire miniature horse world a favor. 

I was quoted a price of $1500 to $1800 for the surgery three years ago when I was interested in purchasing a cryptorchid.  I live in New England, for reference, and I think our vet care costs may be higher here than elsewhere.  

If you do the surgery, they are better for it mentally and physically.

As an aside, I also own a pony who was a crypt and gelded before I owned him.   I didn't know it until two years after I bought him.  He was gelded late and retains some residual stallion like behavior.  He can be a handful once in awhile, but in general he is a happy camper and a pretty good guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Either way he will be gelded and yes I keep him separated from my mare. I checked him out by just looking and touched the area. I can feel pea sized lumps 

Good! If you can feel something, I bet the vet will be able to have something to work with. BTW, around here it's fly season.....So, we are putting off gelding for about a month or so.

Latest posts

Back