Heritage of mini horses lines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylights

Reaction score
5A6BCF33-A8D6-4AB2-A3CB-14E0D969D8F3.jpegI have 2 AMHR registered boys, although one is out a AMHR/ ASPC mare.

what I'm curious about is what is known about the heritage, is the ASPC Classic? Do any of them go back to Welsh ponies? 

My boys are IMO both quite nice, the one from Cross Country, who is doubled up on Lazy N Red Man is a lovely driving horse, his gait is low and like a thoroughbred, he has a nice slow, working and extended trot, without getting hot.

The pinto with Buckaroo and King Lee behind him is a hotty, also real fun to drive but he has a lot of engine and wants to go! More leg action too. 

The pinto has a bigger eye, cheek, small tippy ears and nose which remind me of a little Welshie. 

The bay is always a good little guy, though quite wary of strangers, he can be bought with slow movement and a pocketful of treats. 

I’m just curious about the lines and how they developed. 

FB943D00-62E5-460F-A124-9B82751A56DC.jpeg

D4184245-7D6D-498B-81E6-6F778A8C02A2.jpeg

You have some old big names in both your boys' background.... Champion bloodlines.  Buckeroo, Rowdy. and Red Boy..... The history of the miniature horse -- way back is rather murky. Miniature horses all have Shetland in their background somewhere and probably Welsh Pony too........The American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR) was the first to be formed by breeders of small Shetlands........ And because of the height issue some breeders formed The American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA).

They are beautiful and very well bred.   AMHR was formed after the Shetland registry, I think I have an article about the early days somewhere, I will look for it when I get the chance. I seem to recall there is info from a pony line known in England  from the 1800's.

You have two very handsome boys with great old champion backgrounds there. Code Reds Shetland pedigree dates back to the 1800s when Shetlands were first imported into the U.S. from the Shetland Isles. Some of those first imports I understand were crossed with Hackney, Welsh, and Harness Show Ponies to get a more refined pony. The Classics were bred for a more refined version of American and British breeding. Gosh, just Gold Melody Boy there on the bottom dates back to the1800's. You can look at his ped. here: https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gold+melody+boy Look at the photos there of Orloff and especially his sire Jap!...they could clean up in the ring today!.  Your Cross Country Vision also has solid Shetland lines..look at Lazy N Red Boys pedigree: https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lazy+n+red+boy

It's interesting to me to compare today's American Shetlands with the U.K.'s.  The ASPC has come a long way improving and expanding the Shetland breed by adding other breeds and divisions.  It's always amazing to me though to look way back and see the natural refinement that's been passed down to some of today's ponies.

-

Latest posts

Back