Shampoos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've tried just about every horse/human shampoo on the market on my horses.  I decided to try Selsun Blue.  Unbelievably, it got rid of the mane and tail dandruff and stopped the casual itching.  I bought the Equate brand and it worked as well as the name brand.   I left it on for a few minutes before rinsing.

I have had pretty good luck with Head and Shoulders, I will try the Selsun Blue next time I need a bottle.  Peanut has an itchy spot on the end of his tailbone.  At the very tip.. He has a scar there and I don't know if the scar itches, or if he scarred himself scratching that spot at some point.  The hair grew in white.  It is about the size of a pea (nut!).  

He will go for months without itchey tail, and then he will have a spell of it.  Mostly when it is hot.  

"The most well-known version of Selsun Blue is its basic formulation, containing selenium sulfide as the active ingredient. Selenium sulfide is an anti-fungal agent which may be helpful in treating the skin yeast infection tinea versicolor, scalp ringworm (tinea capitis) and athlete's foot (tinea pedis). Selenium sulfide also is effective at treating seborrheic dermatitis because it slows the overgrowth of skin cells involved in this condition"

Horses I've had with skin irritations are mostly bothered in summer also.  I just washed him again yesterday with it as he is scratching his tail area.  There is no dandruff on the tail anymore; I think it's either a habit he's acquired or it just feels so darn good he can't help himself.  He has a very heavy tail; maybe it just gets too hot.  I wonder if a tail bag???

Marsha also check his sheeth, he may have dirt build up, the same with mares, always check their teets for build up

Back