Can a pinto lose his colour?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
HI,

I have a couple questions and figure this is the best place to ask!

My mini colt is 4 1/2 months old and has twice started to shed out his baby fuzz but still has most of it. At 3 weeks he lost it on the front of his face then stopped and at 3 months he lost it on his cheeks (mostly), and on his legs up to his knees and hocks and then stopped again.  Any ideas on what's happening or is he just being special? LOL!

I also have a 3 year old gelding that I just got from a local rescue so he can have a friend. Long story short above colt hasn't dropped his testicles yet and only has girls to go out with so he needs a buddy when he gets separated by 6 months to be absolutely certain no oops happen. My vet thought he could feel one before it disappeared so we are waiting to see if they appear. Anyway back to the question. This little one is all white but I was given a baby picture of him and his head and neck were chestnut when he was born. Has anyone heard of them losing their colour or is it a mix up and not his baby picture? It doesn't matter, I'm just curious and the people here seem to know everything :)

It's quite possible the colt is grey, and turning grey fast.   Greys are born a color and turn grey over time, how long it takes varies from horse to horse.  

4.5 months is young to worry about gelding.  While they should be dropped at birth, many hold them high until spring of their yearling year, some even longer.   perhaps come cooler weather and no bugs, he'll drop his, but don't be surprised if you have to wait til spring.

Of course!! You're a genious!!!! I'm so used to the big horses where grey isn't, normally,  bred with pinto or appy I never thought of that.

Yes, 4 months is too early to geld. My vet was out for shots when the whole when do I have to separate him discussion started. I thought I had till he was closer to a year, I was wrong, so the new guy moved in. I am in denial that this could be the start of a mini herd ?

Just popping in to Ditto what Chandra posted on all counts..... I will say, though, 4 months is really fast to gray out.  They usually start going white around the eyes first and then it spreads over the face....but we've only had a couple foals gray out.

Oh, I'm sorry. I babbled and wasn't clear.

The 4 1/2 month old hasn't lost his baby fuz yet but looks like he's going to be what us 'big horse' people call liver chestnut. Thought maybe silver dapple but mane and tail are both coming in dark too.

The grey expinto is 3yrs. No idea when he went white, his baby picture was chestnut pinto.

I'm relatively new to the horse scene and have only had the one foal thus far but at 3.5 years I think her final color, a silver black with dapple, is here to stay. Her first year she was very light, almost the same color as her mom's  flaxen mane with no dapples. The next season her silver black started to appear on her face and legs with no dapple. This year her winter coat was light with silver but when she shed her sliver black was much more pronounced and she has lots of dapples.

Latest posts

Back