Opinions on how he looks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opie2017

Reaction score
I am  learning about minis, I have always owned large horses but now I am older I decided to have a couple of minis. This is my 2 year old colt and would like some opinions how he looks. I do try my best on raising them, he is the youngest one I have ever purchased. I got him at 4 months and would like to know if he looks like his growing correctly, I don't show but plan to use him for therapy

37854415_10216842587676558_429478304190300160_n.jpg

What is his current diet?  As many details as possible, please; type of feeds and forages, amount of feeds and forages?   how tall is he? 

He looks like he's a bit light along his topline (spine and hips), so likely needs a bit more protein in his diet.  A bit of exercise will help too, but he has to have the nutrition to support the exercise.

Is he up to date on his deworming?

I was also thinking about protein and exercise.  Suggest some caveletti work or some walks on hills.  Backing exercises also could help his hind.

He is a very nice color and well groomed!  I like the way his neck ties in at the shoulder.  At 2, do you think he has the temperament for therapy work?  He appears very interested in his world.  People will love him.

I have him on grain that is about 12% protein but switching to miniature horse and pony grain by purina. He is getting 2 and half cups of grain with a mixture of black oil sunflower seeds along with 3 probiotic flavored cookies, spread over 3 meals breakfast lunch and supper along with 3 flakes of hay divided morning, noon and evening. I am not sure the type of hay, I do know its nice fresh hay no junk weeds of any kind. He barley 29 inches and yes he is up to day on his deworming. He does get exercise but I like Marsha Cassada's idea about the caveletti work, I am looking at videos to get an idea on "how to".  Thank you for replying to my topic and appreciate all the advice.

I like the way his neck ties in at the shoulder.  At 2, do you think he has the temperament for therapy work?  He appears very interested in his world.  People will love him.  As of now I wouldn't use him for therapy as he is still intact but after he is gelded. He is sort of calm now and has a few quirks we need to work out. He loves people and we have people who thinks he is adorable :)   Thank you, he took a while to lose the winter coat and we actually did our first clipping on his mane. It is not the best but I think we did fairly well

Sorry I did the quote wrong :(  my post begins with (As of now I wouldn't use him for therapy as he is still intact but after he is gelded)

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your choices for feed brands?  Most I've come across haven't been happy with the Mini and Pony feed, except for feeding easy-keeper pasture puffs, definitely not for finishing up growth and adding protein and muscle.    If you like Purina, many like Strategy.  If you are worried about sugar/starch in the product, Purina WellSolve Low starch is supposed to be decent.   My choice is a ration balancer, highly concentrated source of protein, vitamins and minerals, so just a cup or two daily provides the nutrients missing in most forages (being yours is small, 1 cup will probably be plenty); Purina's ration balancer is called Enrich Plus.

We have a tractor & supply up here but depends if our local store carries it as we live up in Northern Maine. I looked up Enrich Plus and I see that local store does carry it :)

He is cute. I agree with the above posts about his topline and muscle.  Has he had his first dental checkup?  That might be something to look into.  He won't benefit from his vittles if he can't process them.

He has a pretty head.  Do I see a partially blue eye? Or is it all blue?  My mini has a half blue eye.

here is my mare, just wondering if she is too fat. She is 37 inches tall and how does she look? Thanks for all the advice

37868682_10216842588316574_8068572394588995584_n.jpg

From the pics she does not look overweight. Im always a little cautious on commenting off a pic, due to angles and what I cant see looking at them. :)

She looks pretty good in the pictures.   That said, how easily can you feel spine, hips and ribs?   There should be a light layer of flesh and muscle; if you readily feel bone, they are too thin, if you really have to push through flesh, they are too heavy.

I don't have different angles of her but I can take more pictures, I have one other picture of her and the second one of her last year.  I don't have a weight tape, I keep track of her weight by measuring girth and length (estimating her weight at 290). How accurate is that?. I can not feel her spine or ribs, I don't have to push hard when trying to feel for them

36915075_10216687798846934_2026187625462759424_n.jpg

13680182_1288480204496039_4473871207752043680_o.jpg

She looks great and I dont think she looks overweight at all. 

What I meant by the diff angles , was being able to visually look at the horse at different angles. Nothing is more accurate then being able to feel over the horse as Chanda Mentioned .

She looks good.   For her height and build, I'd say 290# is light, so recheck your math.  What formula are you using?   I had a 37" gelding with a similar build, he was good at 350#, too skinny at 325#, and fat at 375#; weights on a scale. My 36" stallion is pretty good around 325, but need to update his measurements.

Chandab, I found something online you measure girth and length some type of calculator that estimates the weight. Thanks Ryan Johnson, I just thought she looked bigger than last year and was a bit worried she had gained too much

Latest posts

Back