Rimadyl for dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dog has been on Rimadyl for a couple of months now.  The vet said it might upset his stomach and suggested kaopectate.  Any other ideas on something to help the stomach while on the med?

Can dogs take tums?  He may like the chewable fruit flavors, and easier to give than liquid.  I give my gelding the Walmart version to help keep ulcers away.  He loves them.  

He is worse.  Took him to vet today.  Xray shows bone disease is spreading to more vertebrae and lymph nodes swollen, pressing on colon.  She said he is in a lot of pain.  She wants to aspirate a node to see if it is infection or cancer.  They gave him a shot for pain.  Hopefully will know more in the morning.

Sorry to read this Marsha , I hope you get good results back. I've just recently been through the same thing with a lump on my dogs lymph nodes. I was dreading the results and it was two days before I was about to go on vacation.  All Lailas results came back ok, so im hoping yours do too !

You can give dogs Pepcid AC or the generic to help with stomach upset from meds. So sorry to hear your dog is hurting. I hope it's a treatable infection. Keep us posted.

He came home this morning.  They could not do the lymph node without surgery and I did not want to do that; he would have to go to the State vet college and I am not willing  to do that.  She put him on an antibiotic and two different pain meds.  He is doing great so far.  Gobbled some crunchies as soon as he got home and autographed the car tire.   She said we would know within a few weeks if it is an infection and responding to the antibiotics.  If he gets worse, then it is cancer.  The damage to the vertebrae is irreversible.  But as long as he is not in pain, we will give this a try. 

Flat on the bicycle, so we have to get that fixed so he can go bike riding!  No more long walks.  (Why do the valve stems on tubes always fail?  Surely "they" can make a better tube.)

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Have you tried giving your dog some probiotics? They can help support digestive health and may ease stomach upset. Additionally, feeding your dog smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day could also help. On a totally different note, did you know that dogs bark differently depending on where they're from? In fact, dogs in different parts of the world have unique barks and there's even a science to studying them! Similarly, cats meow in different ways depending on where they're from. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

Have you tried giving your dog some probiotics? They can help support digestive health and may ease stomach upset. Additionally, feeding your dog smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day could also help. On a totally different note, did you know that dogs bark differently depending on where they're from? In fact, dogs in different parts of the world have unique barks and there's even a science to studying them! Similarly, cats meow in different ways depending on where they're from. It's pretty fascinating stuff.
You may be interested in learning how to unscramble language your animal's language. Personally for me it is of great interest. I might even be able to understand my animal better.

I use Pepto-Bismol it’s safe for dogs and works very well most of the time here’s the dosing chart

Attachments

• BD48F4E8-5A3A-4240-9B5C-300D0C6208B4.jpeg
    BD48F4E8-5A3A-4240-9B5C-300D0C6208B4.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 0
Pepto scares me in dogs- because it contains Salicylic Acid. I would not suggest giving it in conjunction with another NSAID such as Rimadyl, you're asking for an upset stomach or stomach ulcer. Talk to your vet about giving Pepcid or Omeprazole instead, much safer and will help more.

Is Pepto-Bismol Safe for Dogs?

I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I hope the next few weeks bring some relief. <3

Pepto scares me in dogs- because it contains Salicylic Acid. I would not suggest giving it in conjunction with another NSAID such as Rimadyl, you're asking for an upset stomach or stomach ulcer. Talk to your vet about giving Pepcid or Omeprazole instead, much safer and will help more.

Is Pepto-Bismol Safe for Dogs?

I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I hope the next few weeks bring some relief. <3
I disagree. I have a senior dog rescue, I’ve used it for years in young and old dogs. It’s Vet approved and I’ve never ever had an adverse reaction at any time. Wait a minute I just realized you said the dogs on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories so maybe Rimadyl then yes you can’t do Pepto-Bismol then

I disagree. I have a senior dog rescue, I’ve used it for years in young and old dogs. It’s Vet approved and I’ve never ever had an adverse reaction at any time. Wait a minute I just realized you said the dogs on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories so maybe Rimadyl then yes you can’t do Pepto-Bismol then
Yep, I've been taught never to advise an owner to give Pepto if the dog is already on NSAIDs.

Latest posts

Back