What color would you call this coat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zergling

Reaction score
My little Coral has a very interesting color to her coat and mane but I have no idea what to call it. What would you call it?

Also, bits of her winter coat is still hanging on despite it being July. The rest of my herd have fully shed. Is this a sign of a problem? She turned three in May.

2018-07-04 21.16.17.jpg

2018-07-04 21.17.09.jpg

She is a silver dapple, also called silver black.

She is very pretty. We have two yearling fillies that are silver black but they are closer to the cor of the Rocky Mountain Horse. Chocolate with lighter main and tail. One has a few dapples the other has none.

As for the coat shedding, have you wormed her recently. If not, she may need wormed.

Horses shed differently. We have had temps in the 90's for several months. We have one broodmare and a yearling that have a thicker coat than the rest. Everyone else is slicked out. Those two end of wet with sweat because of their thicker coats.

Thanks Magic. Both for the information and the compliment. She has a heart of gold and super affectionate. I'd love to see pictures of yours.

I wish I knew more about how different genes mix to get different coat combinations. Like did this come from her fathers roan gene?

They were all wormed later than normal this year because of the late spring. Now that I think about it, maybe her fathers coat was the same way until he was older.

Here is Spyder.

She is a silver black without dapples. Her sire is a buckskin, no silver. Dam is a sorrel with flaxen mane and tail. We bought this mare already bred so was suprised with the foal color. We are pretty sure dam has silver. It does not show up on sorrel horses.

20180708_095553-1.jpg

This is Silver.

She has some dapples. Her dam is black, no silver. Her sire is smoky silver black. He is homozygous silver and black. He looks like the Rocky Mountain Horse. His mane and tail are also not has blonde as the two fillies.

Also is a picture of them together. Sorry pictures are not the best. Walked out barefoot to see if they where up from pasture. Since they were, I just took a couple pics.

What color are your fillies sire and dam. His roaning has nothing to do with the silver unless he was a silver bay.

20180708_095601-1.jpg

20180708_095713-1.jpg

Beautiful horses. Your Silver is adorable and her coat is much like Coral's.

I think I would also call her dam sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail. Her sire is bay roan. Here is her dam. I have to make a new post for her sire.

2017-07-10_18_19_12.jpg

It won't me post more than one photo sometimes, even when I know they are below the max total size and even if they aren't in the same post. I'll try again later.

Your mare is probably hiding the silver gene. Only way to know for sure is have her tested. That is probably where you got the silver dapple.

You are probably right. Here is her sire. I was curious more than anything. We aren't planning for any more breedings any time soon.

2018-06-10_20_24_12.jpg

Latest posts

Back