Gelding senior stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
My stallion is 26 yrs old and while not used as a breeder, he acts like the head honcho, pacing fence lines, will not tolerate other stallions and goes crazy when mares in heat around. Would gelding, if advisable, take the studiness out of him and settle him down?

I would also agree that gelding him now could be a waste of money and possibly harmful as surgical risks increase with age. It is possible he would be less reactive to mares in heat but the other stud behaviors would probably remain. How is he with geldings? Does he have a buddy?

I’m not surprised at the comments as he has been a stud for many years. He is with geldings but I can not put him with any other stallion. Over the years my other stallions could be together over winter, but this guy would be with geldings or he has also had mare companions some years. Thanks for your comments.

it's great that you can put him with geldings, many stallions don't differentiate geldings from stallions; males are males to them, and they do not like them.

My stallion is also wintering with the girls over winter and he has had a quarterhorse gelding pasture mate but he absolutely hates our jack who is terrified of him and runs into the woods despite being twice his size.

Latest posts

Back