Estimated height

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opie2017

Reaction score
My colt's dam and sire are between 32-34 inches tall, I was told my colt would probably mature to 30-31 inches and he is now 2 years old standing at about 29 inches. When do they mature to there height?

Usually AMHA and AMHR consider 3 years old for them to be at their full height. That is when both registries allow the horses papers to be brought permanent. They only have temp papers until they turn three.

Most breed of horses can still grow past three.

One way to tell if he is going to be shorter or taller than his parents is measure their canon bones and his........If his is shorter, then he will stay shorter than them, but if his canon bone is longer, he will grow taller.  At age two, he has probably reached the majority of his height, but may scoot up a half inch to an inch over the next year or so. 

At birth we tend to compare the foal's canon bone to the dam's to give us a general idea of what to expect for height. The canon bone length is what they are born with and doesn't change.

One way to estimate his height it to take a string and measure from his elbow down to his hoof then take the end that was at his hoof and raise it up over his withers and this is about how tall he will be!

Latest posts

Back