Pairs holdbacks (for Cayuse)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Porter

Reaction score
This photo shows my Camptown freedom collars with the holdbacks from breeching ring to ring on collar. Breeching is probably a bit too high on this photo.

E05CB0BB-586F-49BE-9078-8D9113BCF1BC.jpeg

This photo shows the holdbacks from the breeching down to the ring on the martingale just behind his front legs. Not a great photo, but it shows the attachment the best I have right now. This was when I first got this harness, and making adjustments.

B8AB9B55-D4C3-453C-8796-BEA618BE3EED.jpeg

Thanks Peggy! In the second picture, when the breeching comes into play, it is under them?  I think MajorClem explained it to me once, but I just can't grasp it.  Does it tighten when they stop the cart?

Thanks Peggy! In the second picture, when the breeching comes into play, it is under them?  I think MajorClem explained it to me once, but I just can't grasp it.  Does it tighten when they stop the cart?
Yes. When you stop, The pole continues forward. This causes the yoke strap (which connects the collar to the yoke on the pole) to pull the collars forward, off the chest, which causes the ring on the martingale to move forward, tightening the holdbacks on the breeching so the butt takes the pressure and stops the carriage. Brakes help lots on a carriage, not to stop the horses but to help slow the carriage on hills or when stopping. This particular carriage does not have brakes, but it’s rather lightweight, and we don’t do much trail driving with it. Mostly flat roads. I have thought about putting a set of bicycle brakes on the back wheels, but I’m not sure how to get them foot activated. Maybe something to brainstorm this winter.Right Now I’m having lots of fun!

Could the concept work with attaching the straps to the breast collar instead of the shafts?  My only experience is driving single.
No, it wouldn’t work. On a pair the pole is attached to the front of the collar. On a single, the shafts are not attached and would slide through the shaft holders (tug loops) if the breeching wasn’t attached to the shafts. . If you could see it in person, it really isn’t hard to understand, but to try to explain is a little more difficult. 

Unless you have a quick hitch setup like the harness racers use. Their shafts attach to the saddle and there is no breeching. It works great for their situation: extremely lightweight jog cart, flat groomed surface, and looping curves. Not good for heavier cart and small horse, uneven trails and hills, and tight turns.

I think I understand now  :yes  !    It must take a bit of tinkering to get the adjustments just right.

Thanks!
I think I am constantly fiddling with adjustments! This pole fits everything perfectly, and I really had minimal tweaking to get the boys comfy. It really is more than double the fun!

No, it wouldn’t work. On a pair the pole is attached to the front of the collar. On a single, the shafts are not attached and would slide through the shaft holders (tug loops) if the breeching wasn’t attached to the shafts. . If you could see it in person, it really isn’t hard to understand, but to try to explain is a little more difficult. 

Unless you have a quick hitch setup like the harness racers use. Their shafts attach to the saddle and there is no breeching. It works great for their situation: extremely lightweight jog cart, flat groomed surface, and looping curves. Not good for heavier cart and small horse, uneven trails and hills, and tight turns.
I have the quick hitch on my sulky and was wondering how I could do breeching.  I might try it sometime, just to get an idea about it.

I've shown it here a few times.   The third photo is the sulky and harness actually used in racing.  I bought the setup from a man who owned racing horses, big and miniature.  I bought it before I even had a horse.  Wasn't that lucky?!

quickhitch1.jpg

quickhitch2.jpg

sulky photo.jpg

Very cool, Marsha! In the first photo, is that leather sheath attached to the saddle? What breed show people call a thimble? Used in place of breeching to hold the cart back.

Latest posts

Back