Little more cart help, please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
Where do the straps for the breeching go on this cart??

There is a small loop on each shaft, but if those aren't for breeching, then idk where to attach them. And those loops are too far away, by a few inches.

20180625_211830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes those look like the footman’s loops for this cart and would be where the breeching straps attach. If you can get longer straps that would be best. A lot depends on where and how you’re driving. If you are going down hills and need stopping power then I’d suggest longer straps. If you’re mostly flat driving or in the arena then you might be able to get by using some bailing twine to make it slightly longer. If you went that route I’d attach it to the ring on the breeching and then run your strap through. This way you can still get a good grip on the pole with the strap. 

Cant really see it in this picture but it looks like your shafts are way too far forward. The tip of the shaft should not extend past the point of the shoulder. That would make the footman's loops be in the correct location. In addition since the space between the singletree and the horses rear seems to be about right, the shafts may be too long. JMHO

You can also wrap the breeching straps.  That is what I did before having footman loops attached to my shafts.  Wrap the strap around and then over itself before buckling.  Possibly someone welded those loops on who didn't exactly know how to place them.  But it's hard to tell without seeing the whole picture.

Also, the trace goes in the middle of the loop in the breecing strap, not on the outside of it.

I've read it should be a couple inches ahead, but either way, I had tried to reach those loops and the shafts were too far back. =/ 

Video stills.

Screenshot_20180626-112706_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20180626-112756_Video Player.jpg

Your shafts are too far forward. The end of the shaft should be at the point of the shoulder. See that slight bend in the shaft (2nd photo)? That is where your tug loops (shaft holders) should rest. That will put your foot mans loops further back, hopefully within reach of your breeching holdbacks. It does appear that your shafts are too long, but I would rather there be too much space between rump and cart, then have the shafts stick out in front of the horse, as the shaft could get hooked on something or the reins hooked over the shaft. If you could get a few clear photos of the horse and cart taken from the side, it will be easier for us to help you. I also want to see this cute little one’s Face!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a video in my Mini Demons thread. Not great to see how she looks in the cart, but who knows. 

Need to work more on luning and ground driving before I hook her up again. 

Some carts have loops further ahead so there is a stop for the wrap straps to serve as hold backs.  My horse cart was that way.  We got footmans loops welded on in the proper spot.

This cart--those loops will never work even if you move your horse further ahead in the shafts--you need to either get longer straps (custom job as you won't find any to buy ready made in the right length or get loops welded on further back.

You can buy footmans loops at almost any auto parts store. They are used a lot in Jeeps. We just bolted them on where we wanted them on my sulky as it didn't have any to start with.

Latest posts

Back