Older stallion breeding problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patordave

Reaction score
Our stallion is in his early 20's.  Two years ago we did not breed.  Last year, he was with 2 mares, 1 mare lost her foal at term, due to the mis presentation of the foal. The other mare has not foaled, so I don't know if she didn't catch or slipped the foal.  Now, one of the mares is in heat.  The stud  mounted her with out being ready (if you know what I mean) this morning, and now, later in the day, the mare walked up to him, sniffed him as if to say "what are you waiting for?  He just stood there with it dropped.  Does he need HRT?  Is there something to give him hat will boost his drive?  Help!

Kind of hard to judge at this point.... Some experienced stallions don't bother "connecting" until the mare smells a certain way, so not to waste their energy.  We've never given our boys anything, so can't advise on a product.

Maybe try keeping them apart until you see the girls in season next . If they are always padlocked together it can sometimes limit the stallions drive, so too speak . 

Thanks for the suggestions.  Sorry to take so long to get back to you.  A mare I had planned to breed to our mini spotted jack came in and I put my stud in with her.  Browser!  He bred her, and the next day bred the other mare.  Thanks again.  Pat

Latest posts

Back