Draft horses near me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking forward to seeing some pictures too.  I think it is wonderful how he has connected with Buckly.  It sounds perfect, even the part about the steers coming at just the right time!  

Now I really want to bring Pistol out to you. You can work with him then Cowboy can work with him. You guys would have him in great form in a season I'd bet. Post pics at some point if you can. I understand if the Cowboy doesn't want his picture online but snap one of Buckly if possible. 

Oh and I love that he uses the saddle to train them to drive. We do that with the big guys before we ever get on them to teach them rein pressure. Saddle on, lines through stirrups. Then when you do get on you have a little control. Great method. Proves you don't need fancy gear to train a horse.
The travels with rodeo.  If he ever got to Utah, maybe he would come to your place.  I know he is going to Idaho next week to rodeo.

Today was the day I was supposed to go over and watch Buckly.  I called, and he said not to come, as they are having some issues.  Buckly is having trouble working in harness in the cart.  He cannot handle the cart behind him, especially at stops.   He even tries to kick the cart. So they are going to go back a few steps and work without the cart again.  The cattle did not get moved there because it was too windy.  He is going to call me when  Buckly is having a good day.  The cart is pretty sturdy and so is the harness, so I'm hoping everything holds up all right.  If he can handle bucking broncos, I'm pretty sure he can handle a miniature horse.  I'll bet they will have some respect for those "little dudes", though!

Talked to the cowboy's mom tonight.  She said Buckly had a good drive yesterday but when they got back to the barn he kicked the cowboy and ran away.  So instead of a nice brush down and supper, he had to go into the arena and work some more.  Good thing he had his chaps on.   I asked he he was afraid or having a tantrum, and she said it was definitely a tantrum.

After seeing the picture, I am suggesting a couple of tweaks on the harness.  The shafts need to be lowered to be horizontal and I think the breeching needs to come up.  They had to Google harness to figure it out.  I showed them about the comfy fit breast collar, but I figured they could figure everything else out.  It won't hurt Buckly to get tweaked a little. 

She said my cart might have a few scratches now.  We will see how the next week goes.  I'm sure he will be able to give me a solid evaluation by then.  

In the other picture she sent, the cowboy's cow dog is riding also.  Wish I could have been there to see how he handled the tantrum.  He loves horses and I have confidence that he is the right man for the job.

tommy and buckly.jpg

What a handsome horse! He looks great in harness. One thing I noticed is the blinder on the bridle. In the picture it looks a little low. Could he be seeing over it and that's what is making him afraid of the cart? I had this problem with a bridle that gapped and my horse would shy at times. Just a thought!

What a handsome horse! He looks great in harness. One thing I noticed is the blinder on the bridle. In the picture it looks a little low. Could he be seeing over it and that's what is making him afraid of the cart? I had this problem with a bridle that gapped and my horse would shy at times. Just a thought!

I talked with the trainer this morning about the harness.  He told me more about Buckly's blowup.  They had had a very pleasant and successful drive.  They were turning back toward the barn when Buckly blew up.  By the time he settled down he was facing the cart with one foot in the cart.  Broken harness, of course.  So, the trainer was disappointed because everything was going so well, but he said I usually expect one blowup, so it isn't the end of the world.  He got the harness repaired last night and they are going to make adjustments I suggested today before taking him out for the morning workout.  He said he will see how Buckly does this morning after yesterday's adventure.  I asked if he thought it was too much pressure or was it a tantrum.  He said he is still thinking about that and wants to see how his attitude is today. He always likes to give the hrose the benefit of the doubt.  He will call me tonight.  He said if things don't go well today, he may recommend I "find a different pony". He knows what I need in a driving horse and part of his job is to evaluate whether Buckly and I can work together.  Doesn't mean he couldn't work for someone else, but he may not be right for me.

I am  pleased with his handling of Buckly.  He actually works with him twice a day.  I think he is the perfect trainer for Buckly.  He is firm and kind but gives Buckly a chance to learn, progress; and he can handle Buckly's resistance.   So, I will wait and see when he calls tonight. 

He sounds very sensible, the cowboy.  I hope he can find the key to Buckly.  His communication of Buckley's progress is great and it sounds like you will get an honest assessment from him.  Keeping my fingers crossed that this afternoon goes well and that yesterday was just a bump in the road.

That was a good catch by threeten, about the blinkers.  I had this issue with Peanut seeing my mother standing directly behind him over the top of the blinker,  I was hitching him and she was weeding and she stood up quickly with a long, whip like weed waving in her hand. Let's just say  All Heck broke loose and leave it at that.  It was a learning moment.

I noticed the blinders also, but thought it was an angle of the photograph, as I had used that bridle on him a few times and it was adjusted properly for him.  I did suggest that he try the open bridle today, just in case that was one of the issues.  But even if he prefers an open bridle, he must learn how to wear a driving bridle.  And he has to learn to adjust to breeching.  The way he responds to things he doesn't like is the problem.   Why can't I find a nice, Marsha-friendly horse?  I may have to pursue Bubba again.  He's still there, standing around in a weedy pasture.

I forgot about Bubba!  Maybe he is there, just waiting for you, if you believe in fate.

There will be Marsha-freindly horse that comes along.  I just know it. Maybe it WILL be Buckly when he straightens out. It is good that Buckly is at the cowboys.  You need to know one way or the other if he is going to work so you can make a decision and move forward.  

I hesitated to post about my experience with one of my ponys, just because I did not want to sound negative, but I am going to anyway.  I bought a pony once!(not Cappy or Peanut) to train up to drive and he just couldn't get his mind around it.  He is a lovely pony, sweet and sensible in most every way except for the!fact that the shafts freak him out.  He will pull me in a sled all day long and be happy, but the shafts are a "hard no" for him. I decided to keep him as he redeems himself in many other ways, and I love him dearly, but it was very disappointing and exasperating at the time.  I just want you to know that I can understand what you are going through and can commiserate.

I actually took this pony out several times this week and ground drove him. I had the fleeting fantasy of trying to see if we could hitch him, but decided to!just stick with the!ground driving (he needs the exercise) because I just don't want the disappointment again.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got home from our tractor trek and I called the trainer today.  He told me that Buckly would not work for me.  He said for some reason, whether from past experiences or a short circuit in his brain, he cannot do "fight" but only "flight".  I really admire the trainer for sticking with him and working so hard with him, trying to figure out how his mind works and different ways to do the training.  I asked him if he still wants Buckly and he said to give him until tomorrow to think about it.  Or he might know someone.

Two horses is my limit and I cannot keep a pasture ornament.  With Dapper Dan getting older, I need to keep looking for another driving horse.

I'm disappointed, but in my heart I think I knew already that he wouldn't work.

I am sorry it did not work out.  The cowboy sounds like a super horseman and I am glad that he was able to evaluate Buckly and give you an solid answer.  Sometimes we "know" things and just need someone else to verify it.  

Perfectly understandable to have a limit of two horses.  I have three and it is a stretch, doesn't seem like it should be that much more work, but it is. And the expense, too.  That adds up.

Hope he will keep Buckly, that would be nice.

I’m sorry too. Hopefully there is someone out there that will love and appreciate Buckly for who he is. Then you can find the perfect horse for you. As long as he finds a good home, you have nothing to feel bad about. You tried everything, but you just can’t force them to do something they can’t handle. Hugs.

Got Buckly home.  I'm keeping them separated as there is some squealing going on through the fence. Silly boys!  My cart has a broken foot board and some gouges.  Haven't' looked at the harness yet; he said one of the reins was broken.  They must really have had some adventures!  Buckly looks great and seems just fine.  I will sort out the cart and harness.  I think I can unbolt the foot board and reglue it.   I might be able to order another board from Jerald; didn't I hear they were back in business?

Glued the broken board and worked on the gouges today.  One of the little straps that holds the single tree was missing.  I had a velcro strap that I think will work just fine. Everything looks fine now.  The cart just has more stories to tell!  If I can order one driving rein from Ozark, I will.  Otherwise I'll have to get the saddle guy to make/repair mine.  It broke where the two pieces are sewn together. 

Gave Buckly  and Dapper Dan a bath today.  They were so wound up.  Dapper Dan led Buckly out of the gate and down the road to the neighbor's as fast as they could go.  They were snorting and kicking up their heels and stirring up the neighbor horses.  I pursued with the golf cart.  Dapper Dan did the old trick of waiting till I was 6" away from his halter and then bolting off again.  They were so silly.  One neighbor came out and had his lasso ready.  But Dapper Dan let me catch him and everything quieted down.  I think the guy was disappointed he didn't get to rope anything.   

One of my neighbors wants to buy Buckly, but I don't think they would be a good match. He needs a nice, tame horse and I don't think Buckly would work.  I think they think they can "fix" him, where I haven't been able to.  And they plan to put him in with their big horses.  That would not be a good idea.  He is fine to stay with me for a while.

Hopefully my adventures are over for awhile now.

Sorry to hear Buckly is not suitable for you Marsha. I totally understand the need to be able to "work alone".  Theres a difference between a whinnie when leaving the paddock then off to work. Then there is the ones that cannot cope on their own , often working themselves up into a mess then all concentration goes out the window. They can be quite hard to work with, often spending more time getting the horse to relax than actually accomplishing further training. 

As much as I trust one of my big horses with my minis , I just wouldnt risk it by putting any of my minis in with him. 

Hope something comes along soon for you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back