Draft horses near me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This facility is near me.  I have contacted them about training Buckly. Do not know if they will want to work with a miniature horse, but we'll see if they call me back.

http://www.rxacresbelgians.com/RxAboutUs.html

Have not heard back from my cowboy guy and no answer on the cell phone.  We had a great first conversation and both of us seemed excited about working together, then he drops off the earth. 

They sound like a good option.  Too bad about the cowboy.  Did you try emailing him? I have had the same thing happen with me.  When we first got Peanut there was an instructor who came to my area once a week and taught several people on a "route" he had.  He lived about 45 minutes away so he consolidated the lessons in the area to certain days.  I spoke and emailed him and he promised all this exciting stuff, he came and gave me one lesson and it went great.  He seemed very encouraging and it sounded like he wanted to work with us.  I set up an appointment and he rescheduled it, then he rescheduled THAT lesson.  This went on for over two months, all the time with him promising he wanted to work with us.  I finally gave up. I was pretty annoyed with him and would not recommend him if anyone ever asked me point blank about it.   I don't understand why, if they don't want to do something, people just don't say so.  It is bad business.  

Are the draft people close enough so you could bring Buckly there for his training lessons then bring him home? 

Good luck with these guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

They sound like a good option.  Too bad about the cowboy.  Did you try emailing him? I have had the same thing happen with me.  When we first got Peanut there was an instructor who came to my area once a week and taught several people on a "route" he had.  He lived about 45 minutes away so he consolidated the lessons in the area to certain days.  I spoke and emailed him and he promised all this exciting stuff, he came and gave me one lesson and it went great.  He seemed very encouraging and it sounded like he wanted to work with us.  I set up an appointment and he rescheduled it, then he rescheduled THAT lesson.  This went on for over two months, all the time with him promising he wanted to work with us.  I finally gave up. I was pretty annoyed with him and would not recommend him if anyone ever asked me point blank about it.   I don't understand why, if they don't want to do something, people just don't say so.  It is bad business.  

Are the draft people close enough so you could bring Buckly there for his training lessons then bring him home? 

Good luck with these guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
They are only about 20 miles.  I think they might prefer to board, as it would fit into their training schedule better.  I have not heard from them yet.  The cowboy didn't not give me an email and I don't text.

They called me today, but seem really busy and not overly enthusiastic about working with a miniature.  They are very focused on horses and equipment.  Trainers always start with the same questions about what I've done with the horse.  Sort of like a computer trouble shooter asking the owner if he has looked to see if the computer is plugged in... One interesting thing he told me:  I mentioned it was important for my horse to be able to work alone.  He said out of all his work horses, he only had a couple of mares that were willing to work alone.  They are all much happier as teams.  I think this is certainly true, but not an option for me. 

We'll see if there is any followup.

I don't know what to think about the working alone theory, it seems like an awful lot of horses do work alone.  I know some won't, and being herd animals its natural for them to want company, but  lots of people keep just one horse. But I guess if you have just one, there isn't another one for them to miss, like if you had two or three.  It is interesting that he said the ones he had that would work alone were mares.  I wonder if their personality was generally aloof.

I keep hoping the cowboy will turn up.  He has turned into a man of mystery and it is intriguing.

Did you see his mom at WW?  He sounds like a good fit for Buckly, fingers crossed he will finally return your call.

Buckly goes to thecowboy on Monday.  He plans on 2 weeks but he said he will know in 2 days if he will work.  If he works, he stays at least 2 weeks.  If he does not work I fetch him after 2days.  It is $300 and I bring his feed and hay. I am nervous about it but it is a good chance for Buckly.

Dropped Buckly off this morning.  There are lots of horses around so he will not be lonesome.  He will probably not want to come home to just Dapper Dan!  The cowboy plans to work him twice a day.  He showed me the two horses he will use with him.  His mom is going to help with the ponying.  He uses a sled that is what soldiers use to bring wounded in.  Great idea!  He calls himself " a horse pesterer".  He said I keep asking them to do more than they will ever have to do, so when they are out and about, nothing is any big deal.  He thought Buckly was "a good lookin' dude".  I feel really confident that he will work out.  He said he will call me Thursday at the latest to let me know.  If he stays, I will take the cart and harness over.

Just catching up, glad to hear the Cowboy is okay and that he wasn't giving you the brush off. I'm excited to hear how Buckly progresses. From what you've said it seems Buckly has the mind for work.

As for the draft guy saying he only has 3 mares that will go single. I'd bet that most of his horses were trained in teams. A lot of times that's how those guys break new horses. Get them used to the gear and the commands and then hitch them with a solid teammate to teach them and give them confidence. Well that's a great way to train a horse....unless you want it to drive single later. My Fjords (Phineas and Ferb), Smokey, and Candace all have more pep and confidence as a team but they all also drive willingly single. Red and Clementine only drive single. So I think it's  in your training methods. Most horses will like having a trusted teammate better but I also think that most of them will go single if they are trained that way. I think the Cowboy is a better fit for you and what you want for Buckly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the cowboy's mom at weight watchers tonight and she showed us a video of Buckly pulling the sled!  They hitched him up the first night.  He was going like he did it his whole life.  The cowboy got into the sled for a while also.  She told me to bring the cart tomorrow.  I had a good feeling that his methods were going to be right for Buckly.  Just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

Saw the cowboy's mom at weight watchers tonight and she showed us a video of Buckly pulling the sled!  They hitched him up the first night.  He was going like he did it his whole life.  The cowboy got into the sled for a while also.  She told me to bring the cart tomorrow.  I had a good feeling that his methods were going to be right for Buckly.  Just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

Hooray! I'm so glad it looks like he'll be working out for you. If he took to it that quick he should be a level headed horse for you. Such a smart boy!

Oh, my goodness!  I took the cart over to the cowboy today and he showed me what he and Buckly are doing.  The interesting thing, to me, was Buckly did the same things to him that he did to me.  But the cowboy understood what was going on and helped Buckly work through it--and was not afraid.  He pulled a sled around the arena while the cowboy threw in concrete blocks and a barrel.  He uses a child's saddle as a surcingle, running the reins through the stirrups and the tow rope around the saddle horn.  A couple of times Buckly stopped, then got entangled in the ropes.  He stood still while the cowboy extricated him.  I'm sure, as soon as I left, he hooked him to the cart to try it out. 

I think Buckly is doing very well there.  He looked good and he is by himself but is allowed to socialize.  The cowboy would like to buy him!  I told him if it didn't work out between us, that I would give him first refusal.  He put videos of their working together on his instagram.  I can't remember the name of his page, as I don't do instagram.

I am very pleased!  Now the cowboy's mom has made her husband get their old rusty cart frame out of the weeds and fix it up for her as she wants to drive, too.

Sounds like the cowboy is a natural at it.  It is interesting how he went to work right away with Buckly.  Around here most of the trainers would wait and give the horse "a few days to settle in" and then start from square one and drag the process out, no matter the level of training the horse has.  I am NOT saying one should rush training at all,  but sometimes one has to get down to business in order to get anything accomplished.  I am happy for you that the cowboy likes him and that you can see progress happening!

This guy says he likes to let the horse show him what he knows and they work from there.  So he started off dragging the sled beside Buckly, as I had told him that Buckly didn't like things behind him, then hooked it  to the saddle horn.    He said Buckly did look back at the sled, but moved right out for him.  He was pleased that Buckly answered to rein pressure and knew whoa.  I think he thought he would have to begin with more basics. He said he used to start with the basics on all his horses but some horses get impatient with that, so now he lets the horse show him what he already knows.   Every time they stopped, the cowboy would rub him all over and lift all four feet and allow him to relax before moving out again.   Cowboy said he believed he had found his life's work, working with horses, that he had a genuine rapport with them.  I asked him if he had an idea why Buckly got so tense, and he reluctantly said he understood Buckly, "they were both damaged souls".  (He had been in Afghanistan, but I did not ask any questions) 

So, since the cowboy likes him so well and Buckly seems so happy there, I'm almost reluctant to bring him home in two weeks.  Isn't that a weird dilemma!   I may never understand him the way the cowboy does.  Is that too fanciful?

Anyway, I am going over on Monday to see how he is progressing.  The roping steers are being delivered on Sunday and  I told him Buckly needed to be comfortable around cattle.  They were all excited to enter into that new training--the cowboy's mom and dad had unfolded their lawn chairs in the shade by the arena and watched the workout with me. 

So happy that's working out for you Marsha ! I'm just getting back on here after awhile of not checking so I haven't been posting all along , but I"m trying to catch up . I just got a Instagram so if you figure out the cowboys account name, maybe you could send it to me ? Sounds like he's the perfect trainer for you.  :)

It sounds to me like you and Cowboy make a pretty good pair when it comes to training. You can take a shy nervous horse and make him comfortable and happy. Then Cowboy can take that horse and give him confidence in a job. 

I think Cowboy will help you understand Buckly. He can help you understand where his reactions are coming from and how to work through them. But I get what you are saying about being reluctant to bring him home. I think he will be every bit as happy with you as he would with Cowboy. 

Now I really want to bring Pistol out to you. You can work with him then Cowboy can work with him. You guys would have him in great form in a season I'd bet. Post pics at some point if you can. I understand if the Cowboy doesn't want his picture online but snap one of Buckly if possible. 

Oh and I love that he uses the saddle to train them to drive. We do that with the big guys before we ever get on them to teach them rein pressure. Saddle on, lines through stirrups. Then when you do get on you have a little control. Great method. Proves you don't need fancy gear to train a horse.

I forgot my camera when I went there and I only have a flip phone which doesn't take good pictures.  I feel sure the cowboy has no problem having his picture taken. I will remember to take the camera on Monday.  I looked for pictures of the Skedco, the Army litter used for wounded, which he uses as his sled, but couldn't find any good photos online.  I will write down his instagram contact. 

Latest posts

Back