Sign in to follow this  
Marsha Cassada

Draft horses near me

This facility is near me.  I have contacted them about training Buckly. Do not know if they will want to work with a miniature horse, but we'll see if they call me back.

http://www.rxacresbelgians.com/RxAboutUs.html

Have not heard back from my cowboy guy and no answer on the cell phone.  We had a great first conversation and both of us seemed excited about working together, then he drops off the earth. 

Please click here to view our members Mini Horses, Ponies, and Tack for Sale ads!

They sound like a good option.  Too bad about the cowboy.  Did you try emailing him? I have had the same thing happen with me.  When we first got Peanut there was an instructor who came to my area once a week and taught several people on a "route" he had.  He lived about 45 minutes away so he consolidated the lessons in the area to certain days.  I spoke and emailed him and he promised all this exciting stuff, he came and gave me one lesson and it went great.  He seemed very encouraging and it sounded like he wanted to work with us.  I set up an appointment and he rescheduled it, then he rescheduled THAT lesson.  This went on for over two months, all the time with him promising he wanted to work with us.  I finally gave up. I was pretty annoyed with him and would not recommend him if anyone ever asked me point blank about it.   I don't understand why, if they don't want to do something, people just don't say so.  It is bad business.  

Are the draft people close enough so you could bring Buckly there for his training lessons then bring him home? 

Good luck with these guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

40 minutes ago, Cayuse said:

They sound like a good option.  Too bad about the cowboy.  Did you try emailing him? I have had the same thing happen with me.  When we first got Peanut there was an instructor who came to my area once a week and taught several people on a "route" he had.  He lived about 45 minutes away so he consolidated the lessons in the area to certain days.  I spoke and emailed him and he promised all this exciting stuff, he came and gave me one lesson and it went great.  He seemed very encouraging and it sounded like he wanted to work with us.  I set up an appointment and he rescheduled it, then he rescheduled THAT lesson.  This went on for over two months, all the time with him promising he wanted to work with us.  I finally gave up. I was pretty annoyed with him and would not recommend him if anyone ever asked me point blank about it.   I don't understand why, if they don't want to do something, people just don't say so.  It is bad business.  

Are the draft people close enough so you could bring Buckly there for his training lessons then bring him home? 

Good luck with these guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

They are only about 20 miles.  I think they might prefer to board, as it would fit into their training schedule better.  I have not heard from them yet.  The cowboy didn't not give me an email and I don't text.

I thought I was the last holdout on the texting 😄 Happy to know I'm not alone.  I refuse to learn. 

They called me today, but seem really busy and not overly enthusiastic about working with a miniature.  They are very focused on horses and equipment.  Trainers always start with the same questions about what I've done with the horse.  Sort of like a computer trouble shooter asking the owner if he has looked to see if the computer is plugged in... One interesting thing he told me:  I mentioned it was important for my horse to be able to work alone.  He said out of all his work horses, he only had a couple of mares that were willing to work alone.  They are all much happier as teams.  I think this is certainly true, but not an option for me. 

We'll see if there is any followup.

I don't know what to think about the working alone theory, it seems like an awful lot of horses do work alone.  I know some won't, and being herd animals its natural for them to want company, but  lots of people keep just one horse. But I guess if you have just one, there isn't another one for them to miss, like if you had two or three.  It is interesting that he said the ones he had that would work alone were mares.  I wonder if their personality was generally aloof.

I keep hoping the cowboy will turn up.  He has turned into a man of mystery and it is intriguing.

Did you see his mom at WW?  He sounds like a good fit for Buckly, fingers crossed he will finally return your call.

Saw the cowboys mom.  A horse kicked his cell phone, while it was in his pocket, and broke it. He lost his contacts.  I will call him again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Buckly goes to thecowboy on Monday.  He plans on 2 weeks but he said he will know in 2 days if he will work.  If he works, he stays at least 2 weeks.  If he does not work I fetch him after 2days.  It is $300 and I bring his feed and hay. I am nervous about it but it is a good chance for Buckly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is good news!  Nice to hear that cowboy reappeared unscathed and you could make plans for Buckly.  

Dropped Buckly off this morning.  There are lots of horses around so he will not be lonesome.  He will probably not want to come home to just Dapper Dan!  The cowboy plans to work him twice a day.  He showed me the two horses he will use with him.  His mom is going to help with the ponying.  He uses a sled that is what soldiers use to bring wounded in.  Great idea!  He calls himself " a horse pesterer".  He said I keep asking them to do more than they will ever have to do, so when they are out and about, nothing is any big deal.  He thought Buckly was "a good lookin' dude".  I feel really confident that he will work out.  He said he will call me Thursday at the latest to let me know.  If he stays, I will take the cart and harness over.

• Like 2