New to driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zergling

Reaction score
I'm new to driving and another member suggested I introduce myself. I've just gotten a harness, second hand, and have her wearing it occasionally to get used to it.

I've been working with her, getting her used to different things. Noise, traffic, water, tarps, other animals, obstacles etc and she's awesome. Nothing seems to spook her much.

I've been told I should start dragging a tire or something similar behind her, and walking behind that. Should that be my next step?

My harness is missing one piece though, the britching. Can I work without it for now? Is there a place where I can just buy that, without needing to buy the whole harness. The person I bought if from claims it isn't needed but I'm skeptical. How else does the cart keep from running up on her legs without it? I don't have a cart yet either but I'm looking.

Here is Dakota, my carting girl.

Thanks

2016-07-07_13_21_59.jpg

Hopefully someone with more driving experience than me will post soon. What I would do is  continue doing all the desensitization that you have done but this time with the harness on while you ground driving her.  Make sure she is completely comfortable with the harness parts flopping all around her and her legs, and work on steering and whoa.  Stopping and standing quietly is a must for driving horse.   Once she is comfortable with all that, try having someone walk next to you dragging something near her while you control her.  That way she can get used to noises behind her, but your helper can back away if she becomes ansty. 

Do you have anyone who can help you out that has driven before?  It is really easier to have two sets of hands and someone with experience when it comes time to introduce them to the cart.   

About the breeching, you can drive without it on a flat surface, they don't use breeching in the pleasure driving classes at shows, but on hills you need it to hold the cart back.  You can buy breeching at most any place that sells harnesses.  Just make sure that the back strap has a slot/slots to run the strap through.  

Hope this helps a little, I have only been driving a few years but this is how we restarted one of my minis.  

Beautiful girl!  She will look stunning in harness!  If your harness is a "show harness" it may not have a loop for a breeching.  You may need to get a new back strap when you order a breeching.  Not a big deal.  If you know a saddle shop, they can make you a breeching easily.  We have all had to order different/extra parts for our harnesses.  You can get by without it while training.  I know some drivers who never use breeching, even trail driving.

A firm Whoa and Stand are very important.  You can get a couple of pvc poles to put in the tug loops and get her used to something shaft-like beside her.  I hooked a big piece of cardboard to a rope for mine to drag. 

Choose a cart with a good center of gravity.  Some of the inexpensive metal ez entry carts are not very safe.  I have a Jerald Runabout, but there are lots more carts to choose from now than when I got started.  Depending on where you live, you will have lots of options.

Looking forward to hearing more about your driving adventures! 

Thanks to you both.

On the breeching, I guess its a good thing the land is very flat around here so not an immediate concern. Also, it will be a while before I get a cart or even feel comfortable hooking her up to one and getting in. As you both say, I need the stand and whoa to be perfect. I'd say she is at 80% now so I'll be doing more work with her in the harness.

It doesn't look very showy so I doubt its a show harness. Its leather and quite plain. To be honest, I'm not familiar with any of this stuff. My first horse was Mr Handsome as a foal seven years ago when I bought this property. My only experience with horses was at the occasional exhibition and a trail ride or two. Never trained them and have never really been around them as a city person. I've always wanted horses so I moved to the country and bought a small farm. After him I got my quarter horse and it was all downhill from there haha. Two rescues and a foal later and here I am getting into training them as an excuse to spend more time with them. By chance I saw a video of someone skiing behind a small pony and I decided I wanted to try driving first and skiing later.

Sadly, there is no one I know locally with driving experience, or know well enough to ask. I have a few great friends that do penning, barrel racing and go trail riding with but not driving. They have been a great help so far with general horse things so I'm sure they'd be willing to lend a hand when I need it. My neighbor has a great ring and has offered to let me use it for training when I need it.

Dakota has been fantastic. I really think she looks forward to the training. I never have to chase her and she doesn't fight me at all. I always groom her before and after and that is something she really likes so maybe that's it. Her and Coral both come running when the brushes come out. A real pair of princesses lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, there is no one I know locally with driving experience, or know well enough to ask. 
Welcome! Where are you located? Maybe someone here is nearby or knows of someone.

Driving people seem to be very friendly and welcome questions from newbies. Although you can get lots of info on the internet, having a mentor who can help you hands-on is priceless!

Thanks Peggy. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada. Yes, I agree, nothing beats having someone with practical experience helping you in person. I actually do know a person, the one who sold me the harness, but I feel like they are too busy and I hate imposing. I just remembered they did mention there was a mini driving group that meets around here. I really should stop by and ask about it. I could meet some more mini people that way too.

Latest posts

Back