Quilt Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
I've said this before, but I quilt just to keep me from going insane.  I have decided that maybe I should enter some in local shows.  So I had entered three in a show in Red Boiling Springs, TN (a darling little town about 45 minutes from here).  Not to toot my own horn, but TOOT, TOOT, TOOT.  My Ohio Star won 1st place in hand quilting.  My double wedding ring won second in hand quilting. AND.....wait for it.....the double wedding ring was awarded Viewers Choice.  I was absolutely speechless (and I am NEVER at a loss for words.)  All three of these in the picture were mine.  I was quite surprised and very pleased.   Unfortunately, the names on the ribbons were for my evil twin sister "Shelby" as opposed to me "Shelley".  And here I didn't even know I had a twin sister.  How funny was that?  I have all this time on my hands, babysitting hubby, and so I thought I'd put it to good use.  So I guess that is the silver lining.

IMG_1508.JPG

Woo Hoo!  Toot Toot!   And, Congrats!  

They are lovely.  I like them all, but really like the one on the right.

Absolutely beautiful quilts,  you are very talented!  Is the one on the right a drunkards's path pattern?

Yes it is.  Since I hand quilt, I knew I wanted to group the white pieces together somehow to showcase the quilting.  I'm really proud of that one as I made up the quilting pattern to fit the design, but it doesn't get a lot of attention at shows. 

I made a drunkards path quilt once, or my version of it, as I changed the curved pieces to straight edges.  Also, I set the blocks in a different setting than yours.  It certainly lends itself to different looks when playing with how they are turned.  I too like to make my own quilt template for the white areas instead of purchasing one.

Wow, they are all beautiful! Congratulations to you. I keep scrolling back up to see the one on the right love love love it.

I don't know why people don't respond to the one on the right.  I gave it a name:  Moroccan Fantasy.  I think it looks like some windows I've seen in pictures of Morocco and we all know I'll never get to see them in person so.........  And I'm really proud of this one because I made up the quilting pattern myself, as opposed to purchasing a stencil.  Took forever to draw this out and get it just right.  But I really love it.  I get to say that this is an original quilt.  And, even if it never gets a ribbon, I'm really proud of it.

IMG_1136.JPG

I remember when I was a kid we went to Nova Scotia to visit relatives and I went to a quilting bee and the quilt the women were working on was entirely white and quilted in a freeform of seashells.  Hundreds of seashells.  Could you tell me what that style of quilting would be called?  I dont think it was in squares or peiced together, I could be wrong though. As I remember it, it was just one large single peice with the shells quilted all over it.  It was amazing.

You should be proud of your Moroccan Fantasy!  I hope it soon gets the ribbon it deserves!

I remember when I was a kid we went to Nova Scotia to visit relatives and I went to a quilting bee and the quilt the women were working on was entirely white and quilted in a freeform of seashells.  Hundreds of seashells.  Could you tell me what that style of quilting would be called?  I dont think it was in squares or peiced together, I could be wrong though. As I remember it, it was just one large single peice with the shells quilted all over it.  It was amazing.

You should be proud of your Moroccan Fantasy!  I hope it soon gets the ribbon it deserves!
That would be a whole cloth quilt that features the quilting pattern, rather than the piecing and color scheme.

That's right, it's a whole cloth.  I've made two large queen sized ones.  This one is actually on my bed right now.  The quilting makes the pattern, you don't piece a single thing.

13139100_10209610924451072_1965109115459860351_n[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back