Those little crystals you are feeling/getting from her teats is what people refer to as "wax".  It is the colostrum leaking out slowly then crystalies when it hits the air.  GOOD LUCK!  Shouldn't be long now! 

If it's wax, I had a foal within 2 hours of noticing wax, but I'm not sure how long the wax was forming before I noticed it.

Do maiden mares have false labor? From 5:30am to 7am Taffy looked like she might be in labor. Huffing and puffing, bumping her belly with her nose, ears laid back, no good morning whinny, didn’t get up, didn’t look for breakfast, didn’t want to be turned out, grunting, tail flicking and then it stopped. She then spent the whole evening rubbing her butt on the foaling stall so hard she’s ripped hair out of her tail and while she does this she shakes her head like she’s gone crazy.  She has rubbed fur off her shoulders too. Is all this intense itching and scratching normal for late pregnancy? Tonight pH went down a little, “milk” droplets are clear and sticky. She looks very mad to me lol! Oh, is this little one ever coming? These pics are from this morning...pure miserable...poor girl :( 

25097DBC-F902-4083-BE5E-2367B49E06E8.jpeg

5600921E-EC55-4A40-AE60-CB43ED13537D.jpeg

My daughter posted this on Facebook - so funny I had to share! I hope the video link works it is hilarious! 

Hi, my name is Taffy and I am addicted to false labor...
- full udders
- swelling in front of teats
- milk production 
- rolling
- butt scratching
- belly biting
- tail switching 
- excessive itching
- grunting, sighing
- holding my breath
- restlesness
- agitation
...but I'm actually never letting this foal out!

• Haha 1

The foal may have been getting moved around and she didn't like it.

I know your pain. It's called a mare for ya. They will drive you nuts and when you are ready to pull your hair out; they deliver.

Woo hoo! Tonight we’re about 6.8 on the pH milk test! When I brought her in from her turnout she couldn’t even get through the stall door before she started trying to rub her butt on the gate. Maybe we are going to see this baby soon!

I hope your foal comes soon. Excited to see the photos.

My mare, her and our first foal was a completely different experience. She was running a few weeks overdue and still no obvious signs of impending birth. Her udder barely filled out. Started to think we had misjudged her conception date or something. Came out in the AM to feed and water them and everything was as it always was. Came out again a few hours later and baby Coral was standing there nursing. Just like that. Mildly sad we missed the experience but very happy that it was so easy for them both.