Newbie with questions.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristal Hoof

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here. We have a 12 year MiniaturexShetland  gelding. When we got him the seller was vague on his worming schedule. I know in goats that if you have a goat that has not been wormed in years and you give a full dose you can kill them with the high toxic level from the dying worms. Is that the same in horse? From what I understand is it may have been 2-3 years since he was last wormed. What would you recommend? I also don't want to under dose and cause a built up immunity. So advice would be greatly appreciated.  

The previous owner mention he was started in driving. But I don't know how to drive. Where would be a good place to start getting knowledge in driving? 

You are correct, you probably don't want to use a strong dewormer and cause a massive die off.   It would probably be a good idea to take a fecal sample into your vet and get a fecal egg count done, and even if it comes up negative, that doesn't mean your horse is worm free as there a few types that don't show up in FECs (tape wormers for instance).  [Just grab a few fresh apples off the top of a pile, put them in a baggy and take them to your vet.]     Quest dewormer (any with active ingredient Moxidectin) is not recommended in minis, as the safety margin is very small; if it must be used, get a scale weight and dose precisely, not over or under (don't guesstimate weight, tape measure or calculate; scale weight only).

I agree with a fecal sample , this will give you a better direction to take. 

Regarding driving , there's a section on this forum you could start a thread and get some great advice . 

Welcome to the forum ?

I telltale sign of parasite load is a hook on the end of body hair.  Easy to see, especially if he hasn't shed off completely.  This is a good time of year to worm as the parasites are active now and more likely to be affected.  A fecal sample is where I would start.  My vet charges $6 for it.  Pin worms do not show up in fecals, though, so you might want to use Ivermectin first, then follow in a couple of weeks with a different one for pinworms.  I used Exodus, but your vet may suggest a different one.  He very likely has pinworms. I think the five day power pack might be good; ask the vet about it and he can also advise the correct dose. 

I do a fecal on my horses spring and fall.  Sometimes I can go a couple of years without using a wormer.  But my horses are on clean pasture and don't interact much with other horses.  Depends on your situation.  I did have a bad pinworm episode last fall; a new horse brought them  and my older gelding had a rough time till I was able to figure it out. I did not know what was going on.  The Ivermectin did not get them all; it says it does, but it does not.  I am super freaked by pinworms now.

Depending on where you live, hopefully you can get some driving help.  I drive.   Great way to enjoy your horse!  Check out the driving forum.

Latest posts

Back