Easy boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering buying some Easy Boots for Dapper Dan. He seems to go fine on paved roads, but I am thinking with his arthritis the Easy Boots might be a good idea. Do you think it would make a difference? I know with myself, walking barefoot on our tile floors vs. wearing shoes seems to help.

I use Easy Boots too and I'm pretty sure it makes a difference and will be better with the shoes on. There are dampening pads available for the boots, or you can create your own pads out of a piece of a fitness mat. I did this for my old gelding who was wearing EB Epics years ago. He walked much better with the shoes on than without (he has osteo-arthritis). If you are looking for boots with a more flexible sole, the Equine Fusion are a great tip. I'm happy with both of them, EB and EF.

I would think they might help. Anything to reduce the concussion on the feet would probably help other joints too. I know if my feet are hurting more than usual, my back and hip starts acting up.

Cappy likes his boots, I see a difference in his stride length when he has them on.

I used a tape measure when I got Cappy his boots, they were Cavallo CLB Boots, though and not Easy Boots.

They had a little leeway in the measurement.

I will be interested to hear how you like the Easy Boots when you get them. Hope you post a picture or two.

I've never used the mini easy boots but am also thinking of getting a pair for Clem's fronts. Just to ease the shock on her joints a bit. We've ridden our big guys in easy boots for 10 years or more. They have come a long way in that amount of time. We liked them from the start but the boots they have now are just amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. Also, if you have any questions regarding measurements give them a call. Small business run by a handful of people who are always eager to help.

Dapper Dan gets trimmed every four weeks. His next trim is May 8. Should I wait to measure then, or would it be close enough to a trim now? Looks as though he needs a size 2; there are a few fractions either way.

They say, the ideal moment for measuring is 10-14 days after trimming. I would measure now and after the trimming. If there is a huge difference (I think it will be not a big difference if his hooves are trimmed every four weeks
default_smile.png
), I would calculate the average. For the Easy Boot (Mini), I would recommend to take the larger size if the measuring is between two sizes. I use size 2 for the front hooves of my horses and size 1 for Teddys back hooves. But size 1 is very tiny, even for a small mini
default_smile.png

They say, the ideal moment for measuring is 10-14 days after trimming. I would measure now and after the trimming. If there is a huge difference (I think it will be not a big difference if his hooves are trimmed every four weeks
default_smile.png
), I would calculate the average. For the Easy Boot (Mini), I would recommend to take the larger size if the measuring is between two sizes. I use size 2 for the front hooves of my horses and size 1 for Teddys back hooves. But size 1 is very tiny, even for a small mini
default_smile.png
This is what the rep at Valley vet suggested. His trimming is next week so I will measure again then. I did think his hind would be smaller than the front, but there was just a hair of difference. He will be size 2, I believe. Thanks for all the advice.

Trimmer was out today; he had his own calipers. He measured Dapper Dan for me and I ordered the Easy Boots. Size 2 on the back and size 3 on the front. Since he is on a 4 week trim schedule, the trimmer thinks Dapper Dan should not change hoof size much. If his toes start to grow out because he isn't rubbing them off, that might change things.

He uses Renegade brand on his big horses. He did not know anyone made miniature boots, so he was looking forward to checking that out.

He uses Renegade brand on his big horses. He did not know anyone made miniature boots, so he was looking forward to checking that out.
I use renegade on my riding horses too. I am totally in love with them. If they made mini boots I would switch in a heartbeat.

Like I said, my folks use Easyboot and have for years and years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their boots. But if Renegade was an option I would totally take it. Plus, they come in super fun colors!!!

Boots arrived and I put them on him this morning.  We went for a 2 mile walk.  I checked them frequently, loosening/tightening the velcro.  He seemed comfortable with them.  I was most concerned about the back ones, shown in the second photo, whether they will rub on the front of his leg.  I will try them driving next.

boots1.jpg

boots2.jpg

So dad just got his first set of over the pastern EasyBoots for our Fjord team. He was a bit worried about them rubbing since we've always had low profile riding boots that came to just below the cornet band. We've driven the team several miles in them and zero out of 8 boots have rubbed. I can see what you are saying about the one back one, it looks a little crooked or something. If it does rub EasyBoot has the best customer service. Hopefully they'll make him a whole lot more comfortable.

On another note, has he shed out that nice or have you clipped him this year? I need to clip all of mine next week... they are yaks and it's getting hot.

They might drop down and confirm around his foot/pastern a little bit as they break in.  Cappy's  Cavallo boots looked like that and I was worried, but they worked out ok in the ankle depart!ent.  His did rub on the heel bulb a little, but that lessened with a few uses.  I put them on him during turnout and let him do his thing for an hour each day for about a week, if I remember right.  They reminded me of getting new riding boots, after a few wearings the boot "drops" and is more comfy. 

How thick is the sole of the boot? Does the hoof fit way down inside or just to the ridged  part where it looks like the sole starts?  They look well made.

Thanks for posting close up pictures.   Cute nose :)

They might drop down and confirm around his foot/pastern a little bit as they break in.  Cappy's  Cavallo boots looked like that and I was worried, but they worked out ok in the ankle depart!ent.  His did rub on the heel bulb a little, but that lessened with a few uses.  I put them on him during turnout and let him do his thing for an hour each day for about a week, if I remember right.  They reminded me of getting new riding boots, after a few wearings the boot "drops" and is more comfy. 

How thick is the sole of the boot? Does the hoof fit way down inside or just to the ridged  part where it looks like the sole starts?  They look well made.

Thanks for posting close up pictures.   Cute nose ?
About to the ridge.  I haven't had a chance to put them on him again, but I will pay more attention.  We are going out to dinner tonight, meeting a son, and I have already put on my "face" .  No going back outdoors while I am all clean.  I will put them on him tomorrow, hopefully for a drive, and evaluate again.

Latest posts

Back