Open Bridle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to find an open bridle that has buckles at the bit. Don't want ties, conway, or chicago studs. I have an older one, but I need another so I don't have to change size/bit between horses. I may have to have one made.

Does anyone use the nylon open bridle? How do you horses like it? I might consider that instead of leather.

I had mine custom made in black beta from Nifty Tack.com (also on Facebook). Under $50 if I remember correctly. She also does leather and nylon.

E209CD36-E401-422C-B317-C6B544E7CBF8.jpeg

Both have advantages. I like beta because I don't like to spend time cleaning leather. I have shown in my beta harnesses, but I don't do fancy turnout classes. Lately I only trail drive, so beta is the best choice for me. Nothing smells like well conditioned leather.

I had the cheek straps made for mine. If you can take off the cheek/blinder piece from your old bridle. I think I had them made by Star Lake tack. Just measure and E mail them, they can have them made for you. I have used the nylon bridle, only for training when we were starting out . It's OK but the leather one fits better.

I used an open nylon bridle on my welsh pony. It came with blinders, but I undid the stitching and pulled them off. It worked OK, but it was a!cheapo bridle so the stitching was easy to get loose.

One of the mini tack sights has a training bridle with no blinders but it is brown. It does look like it has buckles at the bit ends. I think it is at miniexpress but not sure.

ETA: oops, it is at Chimacums, NOT miniexpress, I just checked. It is not the handsomest bridle but looks useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, well that won't work then. My screen is pretty small so when I looked!at it I could only enlarge it so much. It looked deceivingly like a regular buckle. I don't like conway buckles either.

Nifty tack didn't get back to me. I'll try them again. And I am thinking the conway buckles might not be so bad, since the bridle will be exclusive for Buckly. I won't have to change the size.

What is the point of them? Why not give us the option to pay a little more for regualr buckles? Do they have a "cleaner" look for little horse heads?

I never could figure out the reason for Conway buckles except maybe they use a teensy bit less length of leather than a buckle if you are just using them at the bit end of a bridle (or where the overcheck connects to the bit) and the adjustability of the bridle is just at the cheeks (or check rein in that case).

They are almost impossible for me to use because of my arthritis and if one is lost it renders the bridle useless until a replacement can be found.

Hope you find a nice bridle for Buckly. On my wish list was a bridle with snaps at the bit end, but I could never find a mini sized one.

For my training bridle I use a plain leather strap. I punch holes and use lace at the bit ends, and a single buckle on one side allows me to adjust size. It serves the purpose for hitting the green horse and I use it for actual driving too. I have no use for a browband or throatlatch on a training bridle. Two of these I made from the throatlatches from full horse size bridles--that gives me the nice buckles!
default_smile.png

My issue with so many of the actual open bridle is 1) thick, crappy leather and 2)cheap crappy buckles. They ise conway buckles so often because they are cheap and because it is easier to stick one of those in rather than having to sew in a good buckle.

I judge tack quality partly on the buckles. Conway buckle equals cheapest; the cheap double ended buckles (no idea what they are properly called) are cheap quality. Roller buckles = worth having. I see show harness advertised as "top quality" but the buckles are the cheap kind. sorry, that isn't top quality!

The open headstall I use has no throat latch or browband either. I took them off. I think the throat latch serves a purpose on the blindered driving bridle. I saw some bridles with the leather strings holding the bit.

Has anyone ever cut down a regular horse bridle? I might paw through my leather parts stash and see if I have something I can improvise with. Good idea, minimor.

Catalogs are full of gorgeous English bridles.

Shoe laces make nice ties at the bit end -- the end pulls through the holes easily and the lace unties easily.

Cheryl East on FB might have an English bridle you like.

I found a bridle today. It is nice, medium brown leather with brow band and throat latch. Bit closes with latigos. Made in Oklahoma by a Spanish-speaking family. I'm excited to fit it to Buckly. $20. I should have asked them for a card--they were set up at the Rattlesnake Derby flea market in a nearby town.

Latest posts

Back