Do I blanket the baby?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
Candace had her baby last night. I'm wondering if I need to blanket him tonight. I have a dog sweater that will fit him perfectly. It'll get down to 25F tonight. He is in a clean dry stall with his momma so he's completely out of the rain and wind. I worry about babies getting tangled in blankets so I'm happy to blanket if he needs it but would rather not if it's not needed.

The dog sweater has rear leg straps. If I use it should I cut them off or put them around his legs? They are wide, stretchy and fairly snug so they won't hang down through legs to get caught in. I will have to slit the neck of the sweater a little bit I think.

Thanks in advance for the help. This surprise baby has us all thrilled that he's here safe and sound but kind of wondering what to do next
default_smile.png

Our temp got down to 30 degrees, our filly (born Friday 13) was shivering with one blanket. Put another blanket on her. Went ahead and put a blanket on the colt (two days older), just to be safe.

Tonight is supposed to be in the 30's. Put one blanket on filly. Colt has no blanket. His coat is pretty thick.

Since he is new and she was cooking the baby down south (his coat may not be as thick), I would put a blanket on him. I would probably cut the leg straps off. Just make sure it is snug around the belly.

I'm thinking I'll sleep better knowing he's got a blanket. I cut the leg straps off and will go down to put it on him after I put my son in bed. I've actually got 3 different ones because I'm thinking the first one is going to be too big. One of the 3 should fit him snug enough that I don't have to worry about him getting tangled up.

My filly had to be blanketed for nearly 2 weeks straight, and our temps nose dived shortly after she was born. It takes them a couple days to be able to thermo-regulate, so at least the first night or two a blanket is probably a good idea.

Latest posts

Back