Gravel in Paddock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbrooke Farm

Reaction score
I am having the area around my barn graded, and it was suggested that gravel be put down afterwards to control mud and erosion. I am not talking pea gravel as the cost is very high. Would it be a bad idea to use larger gravel or would it cause grief?

Here's my 2cents. Gravel is great, but to do it right it's not cheap, but it works and will last for years.

You have to put down a Geo textile fabric first, that keeps the gravel from sinking and disappearing in the mud. Without it you will have to replace it often.

If you use a larger than pea size, use river gravel not limestone. Still expensive. Limestone is sharp and not fun to play on.

Larger size is hard to pick manure out of.

My minis love their pea gravel drylot. They lay in it, roll in it and run around like children. Their feet look great too.

When we moved to our new home there was a large area with the Geo textile and limestone already in place. It took a bit of saving but we replaced it with pea gravel. It has lasted 3 years now without needing a "top off".

At my old home I tried just using gravel without the geo textile and had to replace it every year.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Instead of what is specifically labeled pea gravel and thus more expensive, order 1/4-10 (quarter-ten) gravel. It is small, but it is not as smooth, less expensive, and does not have that "walking on marbles" effect.

While large gravel is obviously not good, regular driveway gravel should be fine with an unshod horse. We used 3/4 minus, and the horses thought I had given them a back scratcher.

Geo-textile is best for keeping your gravel from disappearing into the mire, but I used garden weed block in a small area and it worked. Old, free carpeting is a redneck solution that also works.

While they are grading, have them create swales to redirect any surface water. Be careful not to create a bowl —ask me how I know...

Horses for Clean Water is an excellent website that addresses various approaches to improving drainage. Alayne Bickle also writes articles for Horse.com, so they have many useful articles on the subject.

We have gravel in a few areas. It "travels". It does the job, but we have to top it off every couple of years. The last topping, I think we got millings; it has a binder in it that we are hoping will keep it from traveling as badly. Horses do love rolling in it! I do find little rocks lodged in hooves once in a while.

My old jute rug is disintegrating in the area in front of the horse shed. It has served well for 5-6 years. I need to get a new piece to lay there.

Latest posts

Back