Quiessence/Remission question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
About eight days ago switched Peanut from Remission to Quiessence and yesterday noticed his crest was harder. Today when I was ground driving him I noticed he looked fatter, so I taped him. Yup, fatter. I weighed him the day I switched supplements and he has gained about 10 pounds.

Has anyone else experienced this if they ever changed from Remission to Quiessence, or the other way around?

I guess I should put him back on the Remission. I don't want to as he won't eat it and I have to mix it with applesauce and squirt it into him. It gets messy, lol.

I've never used Quiessence, but since it's a pellet, I'd look to the ingredients and see if there might be an ingredient that doesn't agree with him (pellets usually have alfalfa, or wheat midds or something that will stick the powdered mineral together to form the pellet).

It's an acquired taste and it took me awhile, but my girls will eat their Remission in their feed just fine, a little flax seems to help some, but even when I'm not feeding flax they eat their Remission. I had to build up to the recommended amount, and some days they do leave it in the bottom of their feed tub, but not too often.

He just won't eat it no matter what, lol. I have tried it in a mash, dry, with ration balancer, timothy cubes etc. The applesauce and old wormer syringe thing has been going on for over a year. Of course he LOVES that. On a positive note, it has made him very easy to worm ?.

I will look into the ingredients, good idea. He is sensitive to soy and it bloats him. Could be some in the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you feeding the right amount of Remission for a mini? It used to come with a dual end scoop, one end was tablespoon (the maintenance dose for full-size), the other end was teaspoon (3 teaspoons equals one tablespoon). I have B-size minis, so use 1 teaspoon (1/3 of a tablespoon) for their maintenance dose; if you have smaller minis, they would likely need a smaller dose. You might have to break out the kitchen measuring spoons, so you can start really small with the dosage, like 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon and work up to full dose for your size mini (even if smaller than B-size, I'm sure a teaspoon would be fine for maintenance). [b-size is 34-38", if you didn't know, since I think the registries don't use that nomenclature much any more.]

I used a teaspoon, too. On the scant side. He is a small B.
Maybe try starting over with it, and starting really small, like the 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon and see if he notices that in his feed. [Maybe a couple low carb peppermint horse treats (if he likes peppermint), soaked to mush for mixing, to mask the smell of the Remission.]

I taped him again last night and he was back down to his previous weight. I think I will keep him on the Quiessence for one more week and see where he is at.

I get paranoid about their weight, the vet gave me heck about it last Spring. I got hollered at ?, lol.

(not really, but she made her point which was "way too fat!")

I taped him again last night and he was back down to his previous weight. I think I will keep him on the Quiessence for one more week and see where he is at.

I get paranoid about their weight, the vet gave me heck about it last Spring. I got hollered at , lol.

(not really, but she made her point which was "way too fat!")
Glad to here he's back down to a previous weight.

During hairy seasons, the vet better touch the horse before saying "too fat", that hair can be very deceiving.

Chandab, I used the hair defense when I pled my case to the vet and it didn't help. Her verdict was "still too fat".

I finally cracked under the pressure and confessed to the lesser offense of "chubby" :)

Chandab, I used the hair defense when I pled my case to the vet and it didn't help. Her verdict was "still too fat".

I finally cracked under the pressure and confessed to the lesser offense of "chubby" :)
I still hope she touched him, before declaring too fat. And, I often have chubby in my herd, just not this year (last year's drought and drought hay just isn't doing it, so I'm supplementing and still having some trouble, but I think I've got most of it figured out), except the donkey, once they get fat it's hard to get rid of it.

She did feel through his fur. She was right in thinking he was a little overweight, but I think in trying to relate her concerns about his health she went a little overboard to make sure I got the message.

We went through a drought two summers ago. Hay was expensive and what we did get was not great. Hope you get rain soon if you haven't already.

We went through a drought two summers ago. Hay was expensive and what we did get was not great. Hope you get rain soon if you haven't already.
I'm in Montana, we're still under snow, but hopefully spring will show up soon.

My horse was on Quiescence for about a year and a half, but gradually started turning his nose up at it, and finally refused to eat it at all. About 2 months ago I switched to EquiLife's Formula 4 Feet. He gobbles it up and it seems to be working well. The bag is expensive, but since the dose is very small, it is actually a bit cheaper than Quiescence. He's still "chubby" (which is not the word my vet uses, either...) but at least this is a great ration balancer (so he doesn't need grain) on top of being very good for insulin resistance and metabolic support.

I ended up putting Peanut  back on the Remission.  I was not happy with the Quiessence in the long run.  The weight gain and increased cresty neck continued for the month that I had him on it. 

The postive part of the experiment is that the  Quiessence customer service is great, they were very helpful when I emailed a question to them. And the product did take the "hot and fizzy" edge of Peanut.  A+ for both of those things.  

Latest posts

Back