Take a t-shirt or hat that you have worn a lot and hang it in her stall. It needs to be one you have worn for some time so it has your scent on it. This will really help her get used to you.....just leave it hanging there for a couple months.

I also like to sit with them while they eat their grain, just watching, nothing else. If they come to me, I give them a treat. All of my horses and ponies go crazy over Purina Apple and Oat horse treats. If they back away from me, I back away from them but just a couple steps. If they want their grain, they have to eat it with me close by. I also sing to them in a soft voice.....

I have tamed many wild ponies this way....hope this helps. Good luck with your mare!

• Like 6

Great suggestion ^^ . I am another with a mare like this , she is absolutely petrified of humans. It took a great deal of time and persistence to gain her trust. She has always had trust and anxiety issues with humans.

I would suggest that contact is made by you and you only at this stage , the more people trying to interact with her , the more it will freak her out.

Your right, when she is with you all the time at your place you will find that she will really progress with your trust.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 4

Take a t-shirt or hat that you have worn a lot and hang it in her stall. It needs to be one you have worn for some time so it has your scent on it. This will really help her get used to you.....just leave it hanging there for a couple months.

I also like to sit with them while they eat their grain, just watching, nothing else. If they come to me, I give them a treat. All of my horses and ponies go crazy over Purina Apple and Oat horse treats. If they back away from me, I back away from them but just a couple steps. If they want their grain, they have to eat it with me close by. I also sing to them in a soft voice.....

I have tamed many wild ponies this way....hope this helps. Good luck with your mare!

What fabulous suggestions LRMiniatureShetlands. I love your soft approach and cannot wait to put them into practice. We believe our girl is a grand-daughter of Boones Little Buckaroo and has been nothing more than a baby maker her whole life. :-(

• Like 2

This is from last week. She has dropped quite a bit since then. I will upload a side shot from today in a bit.

georgia2.jpg

• Like 2

You are getting so much terrific advice and you have done well with her on your own. Keep talking to her, also singing to her also worked for me as well. She is a lucky horse to have you.

• Like 4

I'm a "head nut" and am admiring her head and large eye. Also agree that she's lucky you are her new mom!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

She is beautiful. What a ROUND belly she has in the picture you posted yesterday :-)

Edited by Cayuse
  • Like 1

How is she coming along ?

• Like 1