New mare had a little surprise for us.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ1991

Reaction score
This chunky 36" mare we bought back in August gave us a little surprise gift. A little boy who looks to be a mule. LOL, shocked is an understatement. Our vet came out and his IGG was perfect, and him and Mom are very healthy.

baby outlaw5.JPG

baby outlaw7.jpg

How adorable!!!! Congratulations!
default_smile.png

Definitely looks like a mule foal. Darling, congrats. And, nice surprise.

Too darn CUTE! Okay, we need the details.......Did you know she was pregnant? Did you know she'd been in with a donkey?

We had NO idea she was pregnant! Nor did her former owner, or the vet, or the farrier. LOL! She was on a diet, and an exercise program since the mare was obese. She never got fatter since we've had her, a blessing but cause the lady who fed the morning he was born to almost have a heart attack. She thought he was a coyote hahaha. His name is Outlaw
default_smile.png

This was the frantic text I got from the lady who was feeding Wednesday when he was born....

The Text.jpg

That message is a hoot! I wish I had been there ?

How does the mare feel about all the excitement?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh what a story! This text you received is priceless not to mention hilarious! Love the name btw

Congratulations. So adorable. Have always wanted to breed for a mule. Enjoy your new addition.

That message is a hoot! I wish I had been there

How does the mare feel about all the excitement?
She is a little overwhelmed at times, like when all the barn girls want to go see him. And when the vet and the farrier needed to look at him, but other than that she is doing very well. She is more okay with my kids messing with him than anyone else.

He is precious! It won't be long and you'll be needing to speak with your vet about gelding him. That will need to be done when he's less than 6 months old, maybe between 4 and 6 mo. old and before weaning. It's not too early to start a conversation about that to make sure your vet's confident knowing the difference there is with castrating donkeys/mules (there are many) as opposed to horses to make sure he/she can do it with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do mules need to be gelded???? They can't reproduce.

Latest posts

Back