Sign in to follow this  
sayyadina

halters for sensitive head

My new horse let me touch his ears without a problem, but when I tried to go INTO the ear he freaked out. It's been 5 months and he is now letting me check inside his ears with just a little resistance. He actually prefers if I wrap my finger in a thin washcloth. Maybe the rubbing of the cloth feels better than the smoothness of my finger. I hold his head without putting pressure on the halter, without him being tied. At first it was a battle, but now he makes a token resistance and actually seems to enjoy that final scratch. He HAD to learn to have his ears checked as we live where there are ticks. And I check for those nasty little ear flies daily.

• Like 1

Thanks Debby. She was actually quite ok with me gently examining her ears, without need for any bribery. Then again, part of my training approach has to get them used to me doing weird things so maybe its paying off.

I've given her a daily probiotic in the past, but it didn't work that well for her. She does very well on a daily dose of Rite Trac. Getting her gut health & diet right has been so important in managing her allergies & sensitivities.

• Like 2