Tack and Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenTree

Reaction score
I've been working hard with my first mini, Cinnamon. I've had her about a month and a half and we've made a lot of progress. She's going to be 3 in May and I would love to train her to drive eventually but don't really know how to get started.

What she can do:

Yield her forequarters and hindquarters, stand still, back up, back over poles, walk, trot, poles, walk well on a lead with a slack rope in partner position, yielding to pressure on her head and neck, circle lunging and some lateral lunging, desensitizing, working with other horses near by, holding herself together over tarps, dragging tarps, flinging poles and swinging pvc around and over her, ropes around her legs and anything that my brain could think of. I wouldn't say all of these are mastered but many of them are adequate. I haven't done any intentional sidepassing with her yet.

I've never driven and don't currently have a way to get anyone with experience to teach me or her. I will take it slow but I thought maybe the first step would be getting her used to a bridle with a bit while doing all the exercises mentioned above. Maybe some ground driving? I'd like to try and be thrifty but I also don't want to buy multiple harnesses. I like the superflex collar but don't know that it should be my first investment. Any suggestions on starting tack or should I just start with the better equipment? I should note that driving will probably just be strolling around the neighborhood, maybe some cde but most likely no showing.

You might try posting your questions under the topic "Driving Miniature Horses" that's located elsewhere here on L.B.

I don't cart (except to drive an already trained horse), but my husband has green broke a few.... Ground driving is a good start. He hooks a long lead on either side of the horse's halter and picks up the leads, standing behind..... From there you get the horse used to going forward, stopping with pressure from the leads, turning right and left with the pressure and release. Having a second person may help if the horse has difficulty understanding at first.

There are books on the subject, but if you can track down a trainer too, or locate another miniature horse person who's done it that lives in your region...all the better.

I dont drive but just wanted to say, congratulations , you have both accomplished a lot in the first month.

Sounds like your really developing a great bond with Cinnamon
default_smile.png

You might try posting your questions under the topic "Driving Miniature Horses" that's located elsewhere here on L.B.

I don't cart (except to drive an already trained horse), but my husband has green broke a few.... Ground driving is a good start. He hooks a long lead on either side of the horse's halter and picks up the leads, standing behind..... From there you get the horse used to going forward, stopping with pressure from the leads, turning right and left with the pressure and release. Having a second person may help if the horse has difficulty understanding at first.

There are books on the subject, but if you can track down a trainer too, or locate another miniature horse person who's done it that lives in your region...all the better.
I'll try asking there thank you!

Just stumbled on a small soft bound book that was helpful to my husband, Larry, when he first started cart driving and training. It's called "Easy and Enjoyable Driving Your Horse", printed in 1989. Produced by Mendon Equestrian Center, Inc. 44 Sheldon Road, Honeoye Falls, NY. 14472...Gloria Austin, President 716-624-3590.

It focuses on working with miniature horses. Hopefully it's still available.

Just stumbled on a small soft bound book that was helpful to my husband, Larry, when he first started cart driving and training. It's called "Easy and Enjoyable Driving Your Horse", printed in 1989. Produced by Mendon Equestrian Center, Inc. 44 Sheldon Road, Honeoye Falls, NY. 14472...Gloria Austin, President 716-624-3590.

It focuses on working with miniature horses. Hopefully it's still available.
I wasn't able to find that book specifically but I found one on amazon that has decent reviews, I think i'll give it a try. Thank you!

Here is the one I found: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1494309254/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Latest posts

Back