Shipping Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DruidLioness

Reaction score
Hi all.

Here I go with the questions. Lol

It's been many, many years since I had horses shipped. I'm considering a mini in VA which is about 420 miles from me. Does anyone have a general idea on how much shipping that distance might cost?

I also thought about trying to rent a truck and trailer and going myself. It's only a 6 hour drive and I can do that no problem. I just don't have my own equipment. Are there places out there that rent truck and trailer or even just a trailer if I could get a truck?

Anyone who lives in Western North Carolina who might be interested in a road trip sometime next month? Lol

I appreciate any help, info or advice y'all have to offer.

Shipping can be pricey. Just depends on the transporter and gas prices at the time of shipping.

If the horse has been handled quite a bit, consider renting a U Haul van. We have moved horses several times like that. As long as the van is cleaned out real well, never had a problem.

Thank you very much Magic. I hadn't thought about the van. I may have to check it out.
default_smile.png

If you do choose to rent a van, I urge you to bring a second person. One drives and the other holds the horse's lead. Also, when we've done it in our mini van, we put down a tarp and lay out a thin rubber mat on top. And we put some hay to keep the horse occupied too. A small bucket for water is also a good idea.

I most definitely will have someone with me if that is how I end up having to bring him home. Thank you for the information of the tarp and mat. That sounds perfect. I really appreciate all your help.
default_smile.png

The U haul van has a brace running down the side to tie the horse. Also the one we had had a metal grate separating the front seats from the back.

The van also had a thin rubber mat down.

Good to know about the UHaul. Thank you Magic.

Another question to all you breeders out there. If a client showed up with a U Haul van would that be a deal breaker or is that a "normal" form of transport?

DruidLioness The U Haul would definitely be a deal breaker for me IF there was not proper ventilation... or improperly placed ventilation - think exhaust entering into it.

Also would take into consideration the axels, I myself wouldn't transport animals with a single axel trailer. Maybe UHaul has open sides or drop downs I don't know. The ones you can drive that have walk through would be great.

This tow trailer of theirs looks similar to my mini trailer anyway so as long as theres plenty of air circualtion (vents and cut outs on the sides) and rubber mats it'd be OK.

5x10.jpg

-

pretty much the same but mine has ventilation and windows with screens down the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to hire one a few years back. They are most petrol stations throughout Australia.

I only hope they are kept in better condition than the ones here. The floor was badly patched up , there was rust everywhere ( one part I could see right thru into the float)

If I needed to hire one again , I would look at a local float hire or local horse transporter , before hiring one from a petrol station.

Ryan, UHaul replaces their vehicles every few years. Once they get to a certain mileage, they are retired. The van we used was only about a year old and in excellent condition.

Latest posts

Back