Hair for bird's nests

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just saw an article by the Naturalist at a State Park nearby. She said not to put the hair from our pets that have been wormed with ivermectin available for birds to use in their nests, as it harms the birds.

I collect nests to use on our Christmas tree and especially enjoy the ones with my horses' hair woven in.

Usually after I clip, I put that big pile into the trash, but with natural shedding beginning, there will be hair galore.

Sometimes you can't control what birds collect for their nests......We worm with ivermectin, and I watch birds gather our horse hair/fur. I also use "organic laundry soap" and collect lint from the dryer and put it out for the birds. Oh, and when brushing out the dogs, we do it outside.....The fur goes flying and the birds love it!

Did they say why it was harmful to birds ? It would be near impossible during shedding season to stop birds collecting hair.

When we built our house, we had birds trying to nest in the corners on the roof. There was one corner that the birds managed to remove the mesh and had nested.

I managed to remove the nest and it was made up of so many different things. Mainly horse hair, grass clippings and hairy fibers off the palm tree trunks that grow along the front of my house.

If Its soft in texture , it makes a perfect mattress
default_smile.png

They didn't say why it was harmful. I wondered if it is like DDT, makes the egg shells too soft and nonviable.

There is no way I can keep birds from getting horse hair here either. But it's an interesting thought about how far-reaching our chemical controls are.

I know some passes through in their poop, but this is the first I've ever heard of it affecting their hair. And, I've seen many birds picking through manure piles, so that is likely to be more of an issue than the hair they collect to line their nest (but don't eat).

[Had to go an google, ivermectin is used as a miticide in birds (I saw directions for topical and ingested ivermectin), or at least domestic birds, so wonder why it would be hazardous to wild birds, unless it's the concentration they may find in the droppings.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely think it would go to the hair. Did you ever see the movie King Corn? Two college guys had their hair analyzed and found it was almost all made up of corn, due to all the corn products they ate. I'm not saying I'm going to stop worming my horses, but it's something to think about.

I have grubs in my compost pile. But I only worm about every 18 months, so the compost may not be quite so heavy with ivermectin. The chickens pretty well keep it picked over. But, come to think of it my older hens have had very soft shells for the last couple of years. I've tried everything recommended for it, but the shells are still soft.

Are your chickens getting calcium? It's oyster shell I believe that is usually used to boost the calcium in the diet.

Are your chickens getting calcium? It's oyster shell I believe that is usually used to boost the calcium in the diet.
Yes, I put the oyster out for them. It didn't help. The new girls that have just begun laying have super hard shells. Now that the older girls are laying again, I need to put the oyster out again. I don't have an indoor place to put the oyster and it gets wet and soggy. I have to change the dish frequently. Maybe if they ate lay crumbles exclusively they would have hard shells, but they are out and about all day and don't really eat alot of crumbles. It's a mystery.

Yes, I put the oyster out for them. It didn't help. The new girls that have just begun laying have super hard shells. Now that the older girls are laying again, I need to put the oyster out again. I don't have an indoor place to put the oyster and it gets wet and soggy. I have to change the dish frequently. Maybe if they ate lay crumbles exclusively they would have hard shells, but they are out and about all day and don't really eat alot of crumbles. It's a mystery.
Not sure if it might be a protein issue or not, the hatchery told my MIL to feed cheap high protein dog food to her chickens for extra protein (I think it was mostly for the feather plucking issue, but I can't recall). Just another idea.

My oldest hen (7) started laying soft eggs a couple of years ago. She has had a couple of eggs break inside her, what a mess, and made her very sick. I tried putting crushed calcium pills in oatmeal for her. It didn't make much difference. Now when she does lay, it scares me every time. I think it's an age issue more than a calcium issue. I hope she quits laying soon. Her "mother" quit laying a about 7 years.

One of the reasons I don't use Ivermectin, Is that I grow worms in the pony poop to compost it. This will be just one more reason not to use something that carries over through the poop and now hair. DR

For many years I've composted horse manure, horse hair, and pet hair. I use Ivermectin and other dewormers and I've never seen a lack of earthworms or had any other problem in my garden.

What parasite control are you using that is safe for your earthworms?

This is interesting about birds, as ivermectin is often used on chickens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my horse compost in flower beds and garden. I have earthworms and I do see dung beetle grubs in the compost. But I only use wormer about once a year, some years not at all, depending on the fecal check. Lately I've used quite a lot, though, because of the pinworms and the new horse. I will be interested to see if it affects the earthworm/dung beetle population. I dosed with Zemecterin Gold lately and have both horses confined. I am putting the manure in a trash bag to be hauled off instead of putting it on the compost pile. The grub population could filter down to the chickens; they give the compost pile a good going over every day!

Latest posts

Back