miniature horses with a miniature donkey?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajb

Reaction score
hello everyone! I am having a dilemma and i am trusting you to help me. Im looking into getting some miniature horses, probably two. But, i also want a miniature donkey. The only problem is my land isnt huge (1 1/2 acres). I read online that you can have up to three minis on one acre. I also read that mini horses and donkeys get along very well together; i just dont want the two horses to go off together and leave the donkey all alone. I also dont want to push it by getting two donkeys and two horses because of the limited amount of space that i have. So.. what do you guys think i should do? Do you think I will be able to have two horses and one donkey together? Should i just get two horses and no donkeys? Or should i not get anything at all? Thanks for your help! (and before anyone asks, yes horses are allowed in my neighborhood even though the lord are small)

FYI: some donkeys can be quite noisy, so you might consider that and your neighbors when considering a donkey.

I have a dozen miniature horses divided into 4 different paddocks. One of those paddocks houses a mare and stallion, 5.5 years ago, I added a weanling jenny to this paddock. The mare came from the same place as the donkey the year before, so she had been around them before. The year I bought the weanling jenny, the mare had lost her foal; so when I brought the jenny home, they connected and bonded quite readily. The mare, the stallion and jenny get along pretty well; if anything the stallion is the one left out of day to day grooming and socializing. [The stallion is only out with them part of the day. he's senior, and gives whole new meaning to hand breeding, in 6 years the mare and stallion have lived together, we have not had a pregnancy.]

I don't regret getting my donkey, she's not overly noisy, but does let me know if I'm late with feeding or if something strange is in the yard. Luckily, I live out in the country, and don't have close neighbors to possibly disturb.

Chanda made a good point regarding your neighbors.... You might check with them.

We also have one mini jenny in one of our groups. I guess I would say is that she is "tolerated". No one has buddied up to her. She is fairly quiet except at feeding time. And like Chanda, we live in the country, so our neighbors are a ways away.

A 4 month old jenny was brought into an established herd of 5 minis (geldings and mares). There was trouble integrating her into the mix for about 6 months and we had to keep her separate, with gradual time spent with specific ones who tolerated her better than others. Two of them chased hard to hurt her and they were the last to get integrated. It was a pecking order issue and she was greatly out-weighed. Donkeys and horses speak a different language, but she has learned "horse", and now they are well integrated. She is the youngest by 10 years, but has one gelding that she plays rough with (and he plays back). I had always heard that donkeys should be in pairs. She can be loud in her braying. Also, she will go after anything small, like cats, roosters, dogs, so be aware of that. She is very sweet, and very people oriented. She is stubborn. I prefer horses actually. You need a farrier who knows how to file donkey hooves correctly as their orientation is more upright.

What do you want to do with your minis?

Latest posts

Back