Lacing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hey!

It's been a while since I've been here, I do miss you. But I got a new job with not near as much free time during the work day (hallelujah!) So I don't spend all my time on forums haha

Anyways, I was just going through my phone and found these pictures from last spring after I had shaved Miss May. I do remember taking them to share with you because I was curious if this was the beginning of lacing. She didn't have it when I got her and I only really noticed it while I was riding my other horse and looking down at her. She does have some SMALL roan patches near some of her other spots so I'm sure it's possible that's what it is.

Anyways just wanted some expert opinions. I didn't even know what lacing was until recently so maybe I'm just excited about the idea of having it haha ?

IMG_20180201_201259.jpg

I have a boy that started out with one small white spot on his back now it has grown to about 6 to 8 inches long, Lacing or as some call it giraffe markings, each year another line formed, I think if you google lacing in horses you should get some info, I used to belong to a lasing club on yahoo but not in it anymore. Hope that helps some

I haven't read too much on the topic, so I'll do that! But I have tried to compare this to photos of it on Google,and those mostly seem like very crisp and defined marks. Hers don't seem as crisp, but it sure does seem to follow her dapples,or maybe my eyes are messing with me, that's entirely possible!

I am interested in hearing more about lacing, too. Cappy has it extensively over his back and down his sides. I did not know what it was until a judge commented on it. This year I think it is!going to be even more pronounced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacing is also called Spider Webbing.... Not a whole lot is known about it, but it is genetic. And yes, the white are clean decisive markings.

We've had a number of our horses with them.

Miniv, is it linked to the dun factor? Or primitive markings? Cap has shoulder barring, I think that's what its called (cross over the shoulders like a donkey) and some lacing on his face. I don't know what color he is, really. I would say bay, but then he has all this other stuff added on.

KLJcowgirl, does Miss May have any bucksins/duns in her pedigree?

The theory is that it's the Sabino gene, which is recessive.

Cayuse, I actually do not know what her pedigree contains, she's not registered. I do know Momma and I think Pop as well are pinto, just don't know colors. Miniv, I would guess you could maybe test for that then if possibly linked to Sabino?

Last I checked, Sabino doesn't show up in pinto tests, but it's been several years.

True Sabino (Sb1) can be tested for, but there are many sabino like patterns that are not testable.

Back