Chicken pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope he stays "nice".
default_smile.png

Handsome roo! I wanted to keep one of the roos from the chicks we hatched out but they were too big for my little bantys.
Yes, when they pounce on the girls they need to be the same size.

I've never been a fan of roosters, especially since being tormented by one as a child. Our dog rescued me a few times and so did my big brother. I think when he attacked my dad, that was the last straw for him! I went to a water garden nursery one time in NM. There was a rooster up on the second story balcony of the home when I entered the nursery. Suddenly, I felt this "presence" and turned just in time to put my purse between me and the potential flogger. I gave him a good whack. Next time I went to the nursery, the rooster wasn't there any more.

So this guy is on probation. Handsome won't be enough if he ever turns on me.

We have had only one rooster attack us, he was a polish.

We bought chicks last year and most are roosters. We have six roosters (a silkie, a polish, a wyondotte, a jersey giant, and a easter egger) in lock down. They were constantly chasing the hens and attacking a silkie rooster we have.

All of them except the easter egger (for now) will be butchered in the next few days. The easter egger gets one more chance. Attacks the silkie, than he is being butchered.

We have had the silkie for about four years. Never has attacked us, even if we upset the hens. He lays in the nesting boxes on the eggs. Very sweet. Can even put your hand under him to get eggs and he doesn't do a thing.

You should know come spring when the hormones start flowing and the hens start squatting and laying. I had a Silkie rooster once also and he wasn't mean. I think Silkies are the most docile of the breeds.

I mis-typed. The older rooster we have is not a silkie, he is a frizzle.

All our roosters are around 10 months and so far none attack us. Each other a different story.

The frizzle is about four-five years old.

Our hens are starting to lay again. Have to go to all their hiding places and than look in other hiding places for eggs.

We are getting ready to convert the goat shelter into a chicken coop with a chain link run. We only have one goat and she does not need the large shed. Also the hens keep going in there and laying anyways.

My two new girls that hatched with the rooster won't lay in the hen house. Don't know if the older girls bother them or not. But they have picked out a nest in the leanto, so I know to go there every day and look. Before I knew where they were laying, I found 9 eggs in the nest. They are all penned up at night, but out free range in the day. If I kept them all penned up, the new girls might lay in the nests, but they have such a good time out and about I don't have the heart to keep them penned up all day.

That's funny
default_smile.png
We had three roosters out of five young chicken too (Maran chicken, a french breed). Two of them fighted and as they harmed each other, we have to butcher them... Then I bought two more hens from an old swiss breed. Now we've four hens and a rooster. The rooster is a very kind one, we call him Franky. He's friendly and tamely, so I think we'll keep him. But I'm not sure if I want to let the hens hatch some eggs.

That's funny
default_smile.png
We had three roosters out of five young chicken too (Maran chicken, a french breed). Two of them fighted and as they harmed each other, we have to butcher them... Then I bought two more hens from an old swiss breed. Now we've four hens and a rooster. The rooster is a very kind one, we call him Franky. He's friendly and tamely, so I think we'll keep him. But I'm not sure if I want to let the hens hatch some eggs.
If one of your hens gets broody, you might consider letting her set. It is run to watch them and she does all the work. Do you have a picture of Franky?

Latest posts

Back