Rain Sheets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenTree

Reaction score
Curious on what brands are preferred for rain sheets on mini's? I'm not looking for warmth, just protection from the relentless rain, and keep clean. I've been eyeing the Amigo petite turnout sheet.

I don't know about rain sheets; that isn't something we deal with much where I live. But I have the Tough 1 fly sheet and it works very well to keep my horses clean. Also adds some wind break.

I have had good luck with Big Dee's mini turnout blankets by Country Pride. They offer the same blanket as a rain sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. A friend of mine mentioned the Amigo petite sheet, anyone try one of those?

I currently use the Tough 1 and they fit very well, but the waterproofing doesn't seem to hold up for prolonged periods of rain. Great sheets for keeping clean overnight, but I personally haven't had great luck with them as a long term turnout.

I have friends had friends who have used the Amigo on their larger ponies and have been very happy with them.

If I remember correctly, the Amigo doesn't have leg straps. I personally prefer leg straps for turnouts, especially if it doesn't have a bellyband. I do really like the looks of their neck cover.

My heavy blanket is a Kensington Cascade and I love it. Very well made. Fits great. I normally do not blanket except in the spring after clipping, but it has been so cold up North this year that I have had to blanket one of them full time. The Kensington has been waterproof and has stayed in place. Plus it is quite a bit less expensive than the Amigo. I plan on purchasing some sheets in this same design before Spring.

I have used Amigo stable sheets, fly sheets and fitted coolers on a 12 hand pony. The quality is nice and they fit super, but like Horselover said, they don't have leg straps so I have shied away from their turnouts for that reason. I have not had trouble with the sheets shifting while the pony is stalled, but out in the pasture might be different. Rolling is a sport to him.

Hmmm decisions. Thank you all for sharing. I think I might try the Amigo, my friend swears by them. It seems so odd they don't have leg straps.

I use Saxon, but prob not available where you are. Good luck with your choice
default_smile.png

Its durable and has lasted me 3.5 years so far. I only rug my shetty as he seems to be the only one of the little ones that seems to suffer from the cold.

I think they go down to 3ft
default_smile.png

I thought I'd share some pictures of the Amigo Petite rain sheet I got for Cinnamon. It's a little big since it skips her size but overall fits fairly well. It has stayed in place thus far and remained water proof in some very intense and stormy weather thus far (only a few days though.) I have a Kensington ordered as well to see if it fits her body type better.

Cinnamon is living with Larix and her owner insisted on having matching blankets for them, so adorable. The coolers underneath were to keep the blankets clean just in case they didn't fit well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Amigo Rain sheet has yet to soak through, the Kensington however has only been used a week and already she's wet beneath the blanket. We've had some heavy rain here in western Washington but I feel like the blanket should have stayed dry longer than that?!

I am frankly surprised that your Kensington were through. I haven't used the rain sheet but my Kensington winter blankets are 100% rainproof. I have used them in heavy rain and the horses stay completely dry underneath--i have some with a back seam and others with no back seam and both kinds stay dry. Disappointing that the rainsheets are not equally good--i was planning to buy a couple but perhaps I won't--will just make do with the heavier ones.

I got it on sale from Ozark, Cascade Series Miniature Rain Sheet. This one has a back seem but it appeared to have just soaked through the whole thing as she was wet on her back, sides, and hips. I'm pretty disappointed and wonder if it is a fluke because I've heard so many people who like the Kensington blankets. Then again my friend who suggested the Amigo didn't like the Kensington maybe that's why.

Latest posts

Back