Got another Government AG Survey...Grrrr.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
These things come every other year and always with a THREAT about how we are REQUIRED BY LAW to complete and submit them.

How much land do we own? How much irrigated? Then, there's the break down on how much we use for crops, pasture, etc.

There are two pages of questions about land management which I always mark NO or NONE.........

Now I'm at the two pages of personal information......All about who we are, how many live with us, our race, how long we've been involved in this "business", do any of us work elsewhere, and for how many hours away from the farm.....plus more......

At this point I feel like they need to know which side of the bed each of us sleeps on!!!!!!!!!

Don't you love the THREAT? Your post brings back a memory. Years ago, I refused to fill out a census form because I felt it was an invasion of my privacy and they literally hunted me down. I was called all hours of the day and night, they showed up several times at the house and threatened me with jail. The more they bugged me the more I dug my heels in and refused to answer any of their questions. This went on for six months or more. Finally they whittled their questions down to one or two from what had been about twenty. I still balked, then they said my husband could answer for me. Well, I acquiesced at that and he answered the questions and they left.

I don't know if they really would've thrown me in jail or not, but I felt I had to stand my ground. As long as I could anyway,lol.

We have a very nosey government sometimes.

I'm waiting for the census police to come after me.... I just really don't want to fill out their invasive question paper work. Not to mention I don't even know the answers to some of them and heck will likely freeze over before I bend over backwards to find the correct answers. Ugh.

We kept ignoring them, the surveys, the phone calls and emails....then they showed up at the farm! My husband was literally shoulder deep in a heifer's vag assisting with her calving and this chump with a clip board was standing there, so annoyed that hubby told him he was to busy to talk to him. I asked him what he thought farmer's did all day and he didn't have an answer. He asked when would be a good time to come back, hubby says, well I still have to tend to this calf, feed my cows, finish bailing my hay and run to the feed store, so about 10pm we will be done. The guy says, well that doesn't work for me. Hubby replied, now you know how we feel. Lol

Don't get mad at the person asking the questions — it's a sh!t job and I believe they are only paid for completed surveys.

Census information is vital for representation and for distribution of services, but there is no need for your name to be attached. Tell them you will answer, but only anonymously.

Just yesterday I received a letter from the US Dept of Health and Human Services saying our house was randomly chosen for a survey and they will be coming to interview the household, it is strongly worded to lead one to believe that they have no choice in the matter, they will just arrive and question. I will be checking into that ?. If my husband wants to participate, that is his business, but I will not.

If asked nicely, I would cooperate happily, but back me into a corner, not so much.

The premise of any sort of right to privacy has flown the coop.

Rant over. For the moment, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one reason we get to touchy about the census is because it seems as though there is always someone trying to survey us, give feedback, or ask how we feel about a product. And now everyone is being made paranoid about identity theft. The census has been around for at least 2000 years, so it's nothing new. But can't "they" just stop with the census, instead of all the other nosy stuff?

We get mad when not one week after receiving multiple surveys in the mail (with no return-by-dates) We receive letters and multiple phone calls threatening fines, penalties and jail time for not replying. I asked the person who showed up at the farm how they justify punishing a farmer for not responding to a survey when there is no way to ensure it was received (certified mail/signature conformation), and there was no compliance or return by date? I fully understand and respect the value of the census data, but I will not tolerate be bullied or harassed, nor will I volunteer personal, private data that can easily be lost, sold or stolen.

I have been getting these Census letters for years, But the last two are getting very personal! I understand questions like how much land, how its used, etc But now they want to know How much I spend on Fuel, Feed, Water, How many people do I hire? etc...

What I want to write on it is "See my tax return". Actually that was the nicest thing I wanted to write on it! DR

I'm most bothered by the requests for names, addresses and ages of everyone involved with the farm decisions. The financials are troublesome too. Its always due before we finish our taxes and I can never fully answer the questions.

I haven't received one in a while and never got one asking for personal information. Oh my gosh I hope I don't get one. Is that legal, is it something new?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless its an official census ( which we seem to have every few years here) shouldnt they already have that information?

Im so conscious of scammers requesting information of late, we are currently having an influx of callers from slovenia , saying they are from the taxation department of Australia and that we owe money.

Word of advice , Never answer "yes" to any questions you may feel are coming from telephone scammers. Most often than not, they have so many personal details , all they need is to record you saying "yes" and you have approved something you never knew you were approving.

A neighbor got that Ag census. He says he never fills them out. He thinks there is a $100 fine, but so far he's never been fined. I wonder what local entity enforces the census?
With the postal service lately, how would they prove someone even received their survey to fine them for not filling it out?

Every time these surveys are filled out and evaluated the ag industry loses something, so why fill them out?

I just spoke to a nice man in Montana, Tom.  (I'm sure they just have random people around the country for such a purpose.  
He just happened to be in Montana.
I had tried my best to answer their questions, mailed my form back to get it out of my hair, early January.
I kept getting repeat mailings and a few days ago a card.
He was really helpful when I called.  
He said if I wasn't growing crops then it'd be a simple fix.   He'd remove me from the census mailings.

Latest posts

Back