Quilt challenge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
OK, I've decided to stop being pitiful (at least for the time being) and start doing something. At my last quilt guild meeting they issued us a challenge. We all started with one yard of batik fabric. Then we snipped, ripped, dropped and passed it. I'd better explain. LOL

We made a little snip right in the middle of our yard of fabric and ripped it in half. Then we dropped one piece in our lap, and passed on the other piece. Again, we snipped it, ripped it in half, dropped one piece in our lap and passed on the other piece. This went on until we were finally left with a piece about ...oh.....5 inches square (more or less).

The challenge was to make "something" out of it. You must use a piece of each of the fabrics you were given, you didn't have to use all of it. And, you could add fabric. Well, I've been making quilts for more years than I will readily admit to. ahem. So I didn't want to do the wall hanging thing or a mug rug. Been there, done that. And my last little piece was really only 4 1/2 inches square.

I brewed. I stewed. And then........inspiration. A prairie point pillow. Ta Da. Hey, that's the best I could come up with. LOL

IMG_1434.JPG

I love prairie points and batik. Perfect! What were some of the other challenge pieces? Challenges are so much fun; really gets the creative juices going. And that little touch of competition adds spice.

This is the first time I've ever been in a challenge. I really had to put on my thinking cap. I've never made a pillow before, or prairie points so it was a learning experience. I've also never used batik fabric. I can't wait until our March meeting to see what everyone else comes up with. Some of the ladies are quite creative. I just wanted to move out of the "quilt" thing and make something different.

This is lovely. I've done similar type challenges with my quilt guild. We have one going this year, and I need to dig out my notes and find out when it is due and get to work on it.

Back