Anyone decorating yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is cool, Marsha!

No, we haven't started yet... We rarely do outside decorations. Indoor stuff we are going to be very cautious about... including the tree. Reason? We have a new kitty addition to the household who loves to jump UP on shelves, counters, tables.....etc...... We've already removed all valuable glass decor from our shelving in the livingroom and now have a spray bottle handy - ready to go.

Nice tractor!

No decorations here yet. Probably this weekend. We dont decorate outside much except for a wreath on the front door and barn doors. My Husband likes to do luminaries on Christmas eve on the driveway, sidewalk and front steps. Everyone does luminaries in the next town over, each year there is more. They are beautiful to see. Peaceful.

Nice tractor!

No decorations here yet. Probably this weekend. We dont decorate outside much except for a wreath on the front door and barn doors. My Husband likes to do luminaries on Christmas eve on the driveway, sidewalk and front steps. Everyone does luminaries in the next town over, each year there is more. They are beautiful to see. Peaceful.
We do luminarias also on Christmas Eve. Sometimes here is is hard to find candles. Or, the wind is blowing a gale and we just put a couple by the doors out of the wind.

I make wreaths out of our juniper for the house and front gate.

We just have a tiny home so we put red and green lights along all our roof lines (okay we only have one straight and one peak ) and then put red and green bulbs on our porch lights. Christmas tree and stockings are up and I'm in the process of knitting a Nativity for the table. We're pretty simple around here but we like it that way.

We cheat and use the little battery powered tea lights so there is no fire worry. They still look realistic. I put some kitty litter in a paper bag to weigh it down and put the tea light on top. I get them at the "Dollar Store" or the craft store.

Wish we could do them here but lanterns are banned unfortunately , due to fire restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just have a tiny home so we put red and green lights along all our roof lines (okay we only have one straight and one peak ) and then put red and green bulbs on our porch lights. Christmas tree and stockings are up and I'm in the process of knitting a Nativity for the table. We're pretty simple around here but we like it that way.

Knitting a nativity?? Can we see? I cannot tell a knit from a purl; always wanted to be a knitter.

We were introduced to luminarias when we lived in New Mexico. I'm rather surprised to hear of the custom being popular in New England. We do the traditional with the paper sack, sand, and candle. Sometimes they catch on fire but the sand seems to keep it from being a problem. But we can't do them if it is really blowing; the candles won't stay lit. The battery tea lights would be an option in the wind! If Christmas came in the summer here, as in Australia, we probably couldn't do them either, especially in a dry year. Too scary.

Slight change of subject but has anyone experienced an "opposite season" Christmas ? I haven't unfortunately ( well not yet anyway). A friend of mine who was from Germany was here a few years back and was quite shocked at how hot it was here.

I think she understood why there were so many cold menu items. Id love to come to the states one Christmas for a "white Christmas"
default_smile.png

Now that is cool, Marsha!

No, we haven't started yet... We rarely do outside decorations. Indoor stuff we are going to be very cautious about... including the tree. Reason? We have a new kitty addition to the household who loves to jump UP on shelves, counters, tables.....etc...... We've already removed all valuable glass decor from our shelving in the livingroom and now have a spray bottle handy - ready to go.
I saw a cute Christmas card. The front has a pretty kitten peeking out of a lovely, glittery tree. Inside, it says "It's Christmas. Do you know where your cat is?"

LOL...Marsha.......We also have two other young cats who were tiny kittens last Christmas, so not sure how they will handle things....They're over a year old now.

My husband's dad was stationed in New Mexico in the late 50's. He picked up the tradition there, also. I dont know how or where our neighboring town got the idea, maybe from my father-in-law!
Knitting a nativity?? Can we see? I cannot tell a knit from a purl; always wanted to be a knitter.

We were introduced to luminarias when we lived in New Mexico. I'm rather surprised to hear of the custom being popular in New England. We do the traditional with the paper sack, sand, and candle. Sometimes they catch on fire but the sand seems to keep it from being a problem. But we can't do them if it is really blowing; the candles won't stay lit. The battery tea lights would be an option in the wind! If Christmas came in the summer here, as in Australia, we probably couldn't do them either, especially in a dry year. Too scary.
My husbands dad was stationed in New Mexico in the late 50's. He picked up the tradition there, also. I dont know how or where our neighboring town got the idea, maybe from my father-in-law!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a cute Christmas card. The front has a pretty kitten peeking out of a lovely, glittery tree. Inside, it says "It's Christmas. Do you know where your cat is?"
We have foster kittens right now so no Christmas Village for us. And the Christmas tree is only 2/3 decorated....

Marsha, knitting is really easy, there are only two things to learn, knit and purl. All the fancy stuff is done using those two stitches. I am self taught via YouTube, even found tutorials for us lefties so no excuses. I’m currently going crazy knitting a Maize and Blue Afghan for my Aunt who has dementia. I’m afraid I won’t have it done in time so I’m just going to have to show her the work in progress and mail it to her when it is done. For those not familiar with the colors, that is for the University of Michigan.

Latest posts

Back