Ringworm - UGH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
I'd post this on the main forum, but this is not about minis, although minis can get it. (Most of you probably know Ringworm is a FUNGUS and not a worm....)

My daughter, Brianna, has decided to breed guinea pigs (cavies). We recently traveled to a small animal show 3 hours away for her to pick up two new ones to add to her small program. We soon discovered they were carrying Ringworm and ended up infecting 3 piglets already here, my daughter's dog, and now SHE has it! We've also found out that many other guinea pigs that were at the show have it. It's very contagious.

So managing the piglets is now done with rubber gloves and EVERYONE who has Ringworm got bathed with an anti-fungal shampoo and is being treated twice a day with Blue-cote and an anti-fungal ointment. The medicating has been going on for about 2 weeks now and seems to be clearing up FINALLY. (Just describing all this makes me itch!)

I'm just not sure how long this treatment is going to last. Does anyone know how long after the healing happens we can stop? .....Fortunately no other people or animals have caught it.

I had ringworm, caught it from Peanut when we first had him. I treated it with clortrimazole for two weeks. The rash was gone in about a week but the label said treat for two, so I did and I remained cleared after stopping the ointment. Now I'm scratchin' again just thinking about it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate ringworm! Best part of it is that it's easy to treat and it generally disappears fast once treated. What I've been told is that treatment must continue past the time you "think" it's gone. Treatment should be continued from at least 2 weeks to 4 weeks... the meds you are using should have a suggestion as to how long.

Latest posts

Back