hurricane Irma

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Reaction score
I hope all in harm's way in Florida and So. Georgia will check in here. I am in No. Florida and hunkering down to ride out the storm, right now the forecast is the storm should have downgraded to a level 2 when it hits early Monday am. We were affected a year ago with hurricane Matthew, and it uprooted 4 of my granddaddy oaks, what a mess to clean up, otherwise all was okay.

In 2004 we suffered a lot with hurricane Charlie with so much debris, fence damage, but all safe.

In 1999 hurricane Floyd was pretty bad as well, I ran out of stalls for the horses and brought 2 of them into my house. I am adding 2 photos (if it works!) : my little stallion SG TNT lived in my kitchen for 2 days and my weanling Irish Lullaby was in the foyer. Put down tarps, shavings, blocked off doorways. They were well behaved, especially TNT, who was always ready for an adventure, curious and level headed. Miss that guy!

IMG_20170909_0003.jpg

IMG_20170909_0002.jpg

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right? I bet all of us would have done the same!

I just saw a video on my FB of a family that lives in a concert made house. They decided to stay through Irma. They brought their 9 dogs and two riding horses into the house. The horses just followed them in like they do it all the time.

I just saw a video of a couple with 8 horses in their living room--concrete block house, they removed the furniture and put up stalls. There were one or 2 minis and 6 big horses, 1 was a wild mustang a year ago.

Cayuse, thank you. Right now we are in the bands of wind and rain fronting the storm. So much water. Had stalls this year for all. The worst is predicted for 2 am, oh it is so nerve wracking for that to be in the dark, not knowing til morn what has come down! Will not sleep, my barn surveillance is not working right now so I cannot keep watch on the guys. So far so good, keeping the faith. I pray all in its path will be safe and not lose power. We did have fun that year with the minis in the house, they loved all the attention.

I just saw a video of a couple with 8 horses in their living room--concrete block house, they removed the furniture and put up stalls. There were one or 2 minis and 6 big horses, 1 was a wild mustang a year ago.
I saw that one too!

Hope you are all ok
default_smile.png

I have lived in Florida my entire life and experienced several hurricanes, a few direct hits, some passing close, and this one was the worst. The strongest hit was 2am Monday and I could not take the wind gusts blows hitting the house and the wind moaning, also the sound of driving rain so I spent the night in an internal hall to lessen the sound. DH lives his days in his super duper power chair and that is another worry. Power out and needed for him. So. Much. Rain. We flooded up to the house but not inside, dodged that one, whole property flooded, water up to the edges of stalls in shed row but not inside them. Hard to believe shed row metal roof held up. Garage flooded up to the house door, cats inside okay as well as an uninvited guest, an opossum that somehow got in there without me knowing. Go figure. The feral cat was missing but showed up a day late without a drop of water on him, don't know where he hid. Wind gusts and rain for another day, lots of limbs down but not trees (!) this time. Horses held up well, stalls stuffed with hay and water. We have a big soggy mess to clean up. BUT WE HAVE BEEN VERY LUCKY.

I live in an area between a lake and a large creek east of me and one south of me, so therein lies the problem. A short way down my road, my neighbor has a layover farm for large horses;, she flooded totally, even across the road (unpassable) and all the horses had to be hand walked out to trailers, very scary. Further down, one creek topped its bank and flooded another neighbors house close to the roof. I had some horses down there to pasture some time back and I know how low it is there, but this is a shock. Boats had to be used to get some folks out. County crews were great.

It is good to live around horse people, they are a special breed. People here help each other out and it was on display after the storm. We lucked out.

Relieved to hear that you are OK and weathered the storm! Sounds as if you got the power back fairly quickly although it probably felt like forever, especially if your husband is dependent on it. Did you have a generator?

Latest posts

Back