Pregnancy Care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is much stronger after the feeding tube and plasma transfusions. She was running around and bucking on her stall. She has finally started to nurse and they took her feeding tube off this morning and are going to monitor her closely.

That is wonderful news , I hope she continues to improve for you
default_smile.png

Love her name !!

So happy for you!! Big congratulations she is absolutely lovely!!! Sorry I'm late, we had a death in the faimily and I've not checked in.

Hi all, quick question. I noticed Hope last night trying to nurse for about an hour and a half straight. She just kept switching side and doing it again. She didn't seem like she was getting any, so I went in and made sure she was latching on, and she was. Then I looked at the mare's bag and it seemed almost flat, and I couldn't hand express any out. Is that normal? She's doing the same thing this morning. Doesn't seem lethargic so I assume she must be getting something, it just seemed odd to me.

Foals will switch nipples as nursing but you may want to consult a vet.

After her rough start you don't want anything to set her back.

I know with our mares we could express milk.

Try getting a picture and let us see what it looks like. She may just not be a Jersey milk cow producer.

Okay thank you! I will take a picture today. I'm not super concerned because she is very active, I've been watching her run around all morning.

At least you get to see a baby run around.

Still waiting on ours. Have five mares over 300 days with one being 346 days (first day in with stallion). She was only in with stallion seven days, so the least days she could be is 340.

At least you get to see a baby run around.

Still waiting on ours. Have five mares over 300 days with one being 346 days (first day in with stallion). She was only in with stallion seven days, so the least days she could be is 340.
Wow! Hopefully somebody goes soon!

Your filly is so lovely, I had the same experience as this and it turned out well, my only 300 day foal and the tubing of the mare's milk did the trick, we did that for 24 hours, so I wish you continued success. My mare had too much milk and it would stream all over the foals face when it could not latch on at first, so I had to milk the mare down a little so the foal could nurse better later. It was a small foal but caught up as time went on.

Thats reassuring mad max, thank you! My filly had to have a feeding tube for 24 hours, too. That and the plasma transfusions she got made her full of life! She is very active now.

angel udders.jpg

Here is the picture! I still can't hand express any and she's still doing the same thing but she's still super energetic and is urinating clear so I assume she must be getting something! My vet comes out tomorrow, I will mention it to her
default_smile.png

I also thought I'd mention that I noticed tonight baby was only latching on for 10 seconds max, then nudging and pushing her udders before trying to latch on again. Also saw her nibbling on hay and drinking water so I thought that was a good sign!
default_smile.png
She is very sweet, I was giving her scratches today and she loved it.

The nudging and pushing on udder is the babies way of getting mom to let down her milk. Same as you would see a calf butt the moms bag.

Mom's bag looks fine. Baby may be emptying because she nurses so much. Also the mare may not be releasing her milk when you try because you are not her baby.

I would say as long as baby is full of herself and urinating clear fluid, she is fine.

Would love to see pictures now that she has unfolded a bit, please.

The nudging and pushing on udder is the babies way of getting mom to let down her milk. Same as you would see a calf butt the moms bag.

Mom's bag looks fine. Baby may be emptying because she nurses so much. Also the mare may not be releasing her milk when you try because you are not her baby.

I would say as long as baby is full of herself and urinating clear fluid, she is fine.

Would love to see pictures now that she has unfolded a bit, please.
Thanks! That's what I figured. I will take some pictures today for you! Most of the ones I have are of her sleeping.

Latest posts

Back