Hummingbirds FINALLY!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
I was upset that we hadn't seen either our normal Barn Swallows OR Hummingbirds....

Well, our Barn Swallows never came, but we have TONS of Tree Swallows! They come out mostly at dusk to feed. We must have about 2 dozen dipping and weaving all around our barn and corral area!

The Humming Birds FINALLY showed up two or three weeks ago, but not as many as usual. Last year we had 8. This year we have two pairs who must be nesting. It's fun to watch the male allow his mate feed. He stands guard and goes after the other male. These are Rufous and are known to be more aggressive than other types.

Still sad that the barn swallows didn't show........In the 12 years we've lived here, this the first season they haven't shown up.

We didn't have as many swallows or humming birds as usual this year. I don't put out a feeder, but try to plant things the hummers like. We did have a few swallow families, but not as many as usual. The brown bat usually summers here; a couple of years ago there was some kind of bat fungus that killed whole colonies in its winter habitat. No bats at all last year, and we only saw a few this year.

I miss the bats too........ Haven't seen any for two or three years.... We also plant flowers with the hummers in mind, but I put out feeders too.

Oh, I love bats! I used to live in an area where there were tons of them and we would go out at dusk and stand very still and they would swoop down all around us, sometimes just a foot or so above our heads. It was near a marsh and very mosquito laden and I think the bugs that were drawn to us drew the bats in.

We have a bat fungus here, too ?.

We have a couple of hummingbirds that visit our garden. Some years they are tamer and easier to spot than others, this year they are shy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back