vaccinating mini donkeys?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullockcorner

Reaction score
O.K. I just "rescued" 2 mini donks. I have had horses all my life, but never the donkeys. I'm sure these guys have never been vaccinated. They are 2 jennies in their early teens with fair over all health, but I'm sure they need worming too. I vaccinate my minis with Fluvac Innovator 4 ( A1 & A2 influenza, E & W ss, and tetanus). Please no comments on what I use on my horses, as I've found that's what they need in this area....I just want to know if it's safe and/or necessary to give the jennies. Also, I alternate with the 3 cycle wormer (Ivermectin, Pyrantel, & Fenben...). I am getting ready to use Ivermectin in the next day or so. Can I worm them with it according to their weight? Yes, I know not to use Quest. One other thing...has anyone used Zimectrin Gold on their minis? I was thinking about trying it cuz of the broader spectrum (such as tape worms), but wanted to ask you all first. Everyone is SO helpful and knowledgeable here.
default_worshippy.gif
Thanks in advance for any replies!

As far as I know donkeys get the same vaccinations and dewormer as horses, at least mine does (mine get about the same vaccine as yours).

Just remember donkeys are more angular than horses, and tend to be very easy keepers, so it's easy for them to get fat, just grass hay and a basic vit/min supplement is all most of them need (says the person with a fat donkey, because one winter our grass hay had some alfalfa in it).

I used Zimectrin Gold on one of my mini horses but only because we saw tape worms in his stool & had it tested to make sure. You have to be very careful about weight measurments so we took him to the vets office and put him on the doggie scale and wormed him just a hair under his actual weight. I actually put 150 lbs. worth on my finger and put it in his mouth that way so I made sure that was the poundage he was getting. He (thank the Lord) did not have any adverse reaction but I think it was because we took these precautions. I still have the wormer and its good until late 2019. If anyone wants to purchase the remainder from me it still has 1100 lbs. in the tube. I chose Zim. Gold over Quest because my vet had more confidence in it.

Thanks chandab and BeeBop for the replies. I'm afraid I need lots of schooling on these donks. Is there a place more appropriate on this site to ask questions about mini donkeys?

Yes, chandab, I can see where you'd have to watch them. The taller one is a real pretty pinto jenny, but must have cushings or something. Big lumps on her butt and crest. My son saw her and said, "What's wrong with her? She looks deformed."
default_no.gif
The other one is tiny, but doesn't seem to have a weight problem cuz she has no top teeth! Apparently previous owner fed her lots of candy and they rotted out.
default_closedeyes.gif
They are both sweet, and are now on limited pasture with a small amount of pelleted feed in the evenings. I think I'm going today to get some senior feed for the little one, as she needs something she can chew easier. I'm open to any suggestions or helpful hints on these sweet babies. Thanks!

Congrats on your new additions. Donkeys are awesome. The lumps you describe are probably a result of over feeding. Donks do not do well on high protein or high fat feed. 10 to 12% protein is sufficient. High value or high quantity of feed will put those fat growths on them. The growths will shrink over time with diet and exercise, but won't completely disappear, our jack had them real bad when we got him and now they are hardly visible, but they feel rock hard under the skin on his crest. They founder easily too. I turn mine out with the steers and dry cows out on dry lot and scrub pasture as the lush grass and 16% feed for the ponies proved too much for ours. Mine handle the 4 way vaccine well and we do rabies, even though technically it isn't "approved" for use in donks as no clinical trial only including donks has ever been conducted to prove efficy (according to our vet clinic) so the certificate is useless in the event of a suspicious bite but she advised us to vaccinate for their protection, so we do. We rotate the same way you described with dewormer. I have used the equimax paste for tapeworms in the little guys with no adverse reactions. Never tried the zimectrin gold, only because it is so much more expensive at our feed store. We love their personalities and demeanor, they are very social and loveable, almost like dogs. Best of luck with them.

Donkeys are the poster child for easy keeper equine. Sounds like the larger one was allowed to get fat, they often then retain those fat deposits for their life, you can try Remission or Quiessence and see if it'll help any.

Senior feeds are usually 14% protein, so may be too high protein as a sole donkey diet; if you can get some grass hay pellets or cubes (usually come in timothy or orchardgrass, sometimes Bermuda depending on location, they are usually in the 8% protein range)) and mix half-half with senior it'll give you a better protein level for a donkey (even higher on the hay pellet side of the mix would be fine). A complete feed down around 10% would be ok, grass hay pellets or cubes (soak the cubes for certain), if her teeth are really bad then all will likely need to be soaked, minimum of two meals daily, but if you can fit in more feeds daily, even better. She might be able to eat the plain chopped hay in a bag products, but try to stay away from those that use molasses to control dust (some are plain and some use oil to control dust).

Thanks, guys! Yes, amysue, I'm sure those are fat growths. She had more donkeys than my 2, that were going somewhere else, and they all had it in varying degrees. How long did it take for your jack to lose them? Chandab, I use Remission on one of my minis with great success, so will try it on the jenny. Thanks for the advice on feed. We do have an 11% sweet feed here that has pellets and mixed grains. I just thought an all-pellet feed would be easier for her to chew and digest. Will check further and see what they have in a pellet complete feed with low protein. They are on a small scrub pasture (about an acre) with our steer, so don't know as grass pellets are needed. Think that sounds ok?

I'm just kind of unsure with these adorable creatures. I want to give them a good brushing and a bath. I guess you trim a short bridle path for a halter? Then you don't clip anything else on a donk? I know these questions sound silly, and I feel silly asking them. LOL
default_blush.png
Our state fair starts this week, and I'm going to the miniature donkey show on Sunday to observe and hopefully learn more about them. I like to walk around the stalls and talk to owners. Most equine people are only too happy to talk about their furry friends and share advice. If anyone has anything else to add to help, please feel free.
default_yes.gif

I wasn't sure how much hay/forage she might be able to take in and chew if she's missing teeth, so I recommended the hay pellets (cubes). I wouldn't recommend a sweet feed for donkeys, a basic pellet would probably be better.

I don't trim a bridle path on my donkey, her mane is so sparse it doesn't interfere with her halter, so I don't bother. She gets very woolie in winter, so if she doesn't shed fast enough in the spring for the rising temps, I have body clipped her to make her more comfortable.

You may find the donkeys like whatever shelter you provide for them and use them more frequently than the horses. First sign of rain or snow my donkey is the first one into the shed for protection. Many do not like to get wet (they are desert animals, after all).

I agree with chanda, mine HATE to be in the rain...they stand under my big horses when the cows won't let them in the shed. It took Rocco about 6 months to be noticeably thinner and less lumpy lol. I feed mine first cut grass only, no grain. Their feet needed a lot work when I got mine, founder, folded over horn growth, thrush and white line and long ties, no heel. Took me about 18 mos to straighten them out. I have clipped mine before when we've had a hot early spring as they take longer than the horses to shed out but once they do, they shine up nice. An old farrier told me once that he shaved off the mane after a hoof trim and when it had grown back, it was time for another trim.

I agree with chanda, mine HATE to be in the rain...they stand under my big horses when the cows won't let them in the shed. It took Rocco about 6 months to be noticeably thinner and less lumpy lol. I feed mine first cut grass only, no grain. Their feet needed a lot work when I got mine, founder, folded over horn growth, thrush and white line and long ties, no heel. Took me about 18 mos to straighten them out. I have clipped mine before when we've had a hot early spring as they take longer than the horses to shed out but once they do, they shine up nice. An old farrier told me once that he shaved off the mane after a hoof trim and when it had grown back, it was time for another trim. Mine love grooming, currying especially and having their ears rubbed.

You guys are great! I will take all info and try to do the best for my new girls.
default_yes.gif
Yes, they like their shelter. As far as feet, my husband is a mini farrier, and he was trimming them when the other lady owned them. That's how we got to know them. The little girl, Daisy Mae, has great feet. The pinto one has some issues, but my husband just trimmed her yesterday, and we'll get them right.

Please continue with any more suggestions or hints!
default_thumbup.gif

We have had three mini donks over the years.....currently have one. I ditto Chanda on everything.........VERY easy keepers. HATE rain/snow/cold. So, they definitely need shelter. We've vaccinated, wormed, hoof trimmed them the same as our minis.

They really don't need grain, just hay and supplement.....but for your toothless one, I'd experiment with chopped hay or cubed hay that's been soaked. Bless you for taking them in. Donkeys are fun. My "Ella" always makes me laugh.

My only donkey experience was with my dil. They were repairing their paddock and she asked me to keep Nellie at my house for the day. Dil brought Nellie over and put her under my horse motel. Water, hay, shelter. When dil came in the evening to get Nellie, Nellie was so happy to see her. She laid her head on her shoulder and plainly said "please don't ever leave me anywhere again". After that, they just let Nellie roam around the yard while they worked on the fence and she never left the yard. They moved away, but I now own the Nellie Casa which my son built for Nellie. My little horses enjoy it and so have the occasional auodad.

Good luck with yours.

Aww! Your girls adorable. What lucky little donks to find a home with you. How big are they?

My old pony who had a lot of dental issues did well on soaked hay pellets. I used Blue Seal hay stretcher and soaked it into a porridge constancy.

The NSC was a little high, though, but we chose to use it as he was old and picky and it passed his "taste test." He loved that stuff.

Thank you for the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back