Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

secuono

Help figuring out harness & cart specs??

What brand rotary punch do you use?

Raining sporadically today, but heading out now to hopefully get pics between storms.

Sorry it took a couple hours, got distracted with some other horsie things, lol.

I added a hole on each side, but still seems loose, is this too loose or fine? Her tail is happily up when meandering.

post-45356-0-47223300-1502748523_thumb.jpgpost-45356-0-65257900-1502748537_thumb.jpg

Then this is point of shoulder, so upped it a hole on each side. 2nd picture is after the adjustment, which seems to have just enough space for air and shoulder.

post-45356-0-46444400-1502748670_thumb.jpgpost-45356-0-09188900-1502748682_thumb.jpg

I also adjusted the breeching after looking at a ton of pics. Seems to be close to where others put it.

It is lower than previously. What do you guys say?

I realize the water hook is backwards, it turns when in the storage tote, sorry. Also tied up straps n bits so it stayed level so I could move back and check it over.

This is one site I used to adjust breeching height.

post-45356-0-47762300-1502749323_thumb.jpg

I also put the harness on my younger mini for kicks. She kept her tail clamped and left, lol. Didn't adjust it for her, as she's still growing bunches.

post-45356-0-23122500-1502749413_thumb.jpgpost-45356-0-14458700-1502749422_thumb.jpg

I'd prefer to see the back strap shorter so the hip strap is forward, closer to the point of the hip.

post-45973-0-28812000-1502804812.jpg

I'd prefer to see the back strap shorter so the hip strap is forward, closer to the point of the hip.

attachicon.giflady05jv.jpg

I believe I've put the back strap on the shortest hole. I'll double check and add a couple if need be.

The breeching triangles can't move, so I worry about the hip straps being pulled backwards further than they already are. Kind of makes it impossible for them to be at the hip point.

yes, how far forward you can position the hip strap does depend on the length of the breeching itself. If you shortened the back strap any more the hip strap would then angle forward, which isn't a good thing either. For a stock harness yours fits fairly well in the breeching. Mine--I had to sell the breeching and get custom breeching made--the harness overall fit 36 to 38" horses but the breeching it came with fit perfectly on a 32" slight built horse.

Here's a pic before I moved up the breastcollar. Can better see the floppy crupper

post-45356-0-94831500-1502815339_thumb.jpg

I don't know how others feel about pads but that breast collar is pretty narrow and IMO a pad under it will make it much more comfortable when pulling a load. I had to order a custom back strap for my harness after the harness arrived. I needed a shorter one but also needed for it to NOT pull the hip strap forward. Same problem it looks like you are having. The other thing you could do is, where the back strap is split for the crupper to attach, you could split it higher and add more holes and cut off the long ends. That way you can lengthen the back strap to where you need it for the hip strap to be in it's proper place and your crupper will fit a little better. Unless you buy a custom made harness you just have to get a little creative with ways to adjust your harness. You should see some of the "rigged" things I've done in the past.

I don't know how others feel about pads but that breast collar is pretty narrow and IMO a pad under it will make it much more comfortable when pulling a load. I had to order a custom back strap for my harness after the harness arrived. I needed a shorter one but also needed for it to NOT pull the hip strap forward. Same problem it looks like you are having. The other thing you could do is, where the back strap is split for the crupper to attach, you could split it higher and add more holes and cut off the long ends. That way you can lengthen the back strap to where you need it for the hip strap to be in it's proper place and your crupper will fit a little better. Unless you buy a custom made harness you just have to get a little creative with ways to adjust your harness. You should see some of the "rigged" things I've done in the past.

Funny, I had the same thought!

Rotary leather punch came in.

I can try splitting the back Strap next time I fiddle with it. I'm back at riding the gelding as the weather has been awesome & he needs work.

I know how hard it can be to split your time between driving the minis and riding the big guys. I've got both as well and now a team of Fjords to top it off. So many horses, so few daylight hours....

I don't know why the loop for the breeching strap is always so far back. I've had to order other back straps, just to get my breeching more forward. And why not make the breeching straps a little longer? They can always be cut off for a small or refined horse. But a larger or stockier horse needs some extra length. It can't cost that much more to add a few inches to those straps. Harnesses usually need a lot of tweaking as you go.