Cresty Neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I left my minis on pasture a little too long this spring and my mare is cresty for the first time. My gelding always gets a tiny bit cresty but my mare...oh my. It hasn't flopped over or anything yet but I've gotta get rid of it. I have pulled them off pasture into a dry lot and they are on grass hay only. It is my driving mare so she will get worked (though not as much as she should). Will working them in the round pen help with this or are there specific exercises I can do with her to help with the crest?

I had a Shetland return from lease just before Christmas and was shocked to see he had a cresty neck and was very overweight. I kept him off pasture for the first three months and only introduced him back to limited grazing around 6 weeks ago.

During his time off pasture he was only on plain grass hay. No apples , carrots or other sweet treats. I did add a little alfalfa into his plain grass hay after two months and also some chopped pumpkin, which is much lower in sugar and great for coats.

If your working her and have now limited her feed to plain grass hay, Im sure she will get rid of the Cresty neck in no time.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back