Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miniappluvr

Maiden Mare foaling guesstimate

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I think you have a grulla.......and a girl! What a happy birthday for you!

BTW, was just wondering when you fed her - her evening meal? Was it around 5 p.m. - ish?

Please click here to view our members Mini Horses, Ponies, and Tack for Sale ads!

Dry pics of baby please.

Wet baby does look rather grulla, but they are usually quite buff colored when born, yours seems a little darker.

Beautiful! Big congratulations and Happy Birthday!! Yes more photos, please. :yes

I had gone out to collect a drop of milk for the milk strip test and when I got in left my barn cam up on my monitor. I don't know why I didn't feed while I was out there, but when I came in I noticed she was starting to act like she was in early labor. The milk strip immediately turned very light orange on the strip. I should have gone out and fed, but instead I watched until about 7:30pm. Since she still had not had her baby I felt pretty bad for making the other 2 in the barn wait so long for supper so I went out and fed then. She didn't have much interest in eating, but was picking a bit at her hay. I went back in and watched her on my barn cams and she was doing all of the normal tell tale signs. Getting up and down, acting irritated kicking her belly, pinning her ears, and scratching her butt on the wall. By 10:20 I knew she was down for the real thing so I headed out.

I have not had any dun foals before, and for some reason I thought her mom was silver buckskin. It wasn't until this filly was born that I thought, she "looks" grulla, but I know how foals have such countershading it is hard to know the actual color. Someone on Facebook then said they thought the dam was dunskin. After that, then I thought well, she is either dunskin, sooty buckskin, or grulla then. I am waiting to see once that foal coat sheds out.

Here is an updated picture of the little cutie.

post-397-0-04294900-1494695119_thumb.jpg

You have a little cutie there! Congrats and good for you for being right there on top of things.

I don't see dark points on her legs which a buckskin would normally have. But time will help tell.

What color was her sire?

You could just run a color test as well... I've found that I have the emailed test results back from Animal Genetics (in Florida) back w/i 48 hours of the email saying they received my samples.

Cute, CUTE filly and HUGE!! Glad that the foaling went well and that you were there - what an awesome B-day present.

Congrats