Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miniappluvr

Maiden Mare foaling guesstimate

I have a maiden mare that I bought bred. Her breeding dates were April - June 13th. Today her bag seems very full. It is also the first time I have tried to express any "milk" and it is clear with the consistency of Karo Syrup. I have looked up the reference pictures on milk and most of them show pictures of amber colored honey like milk all the way to opaque. Since her "milk" is clear but the consistency of honey/Karo Syrup does this usually mean she has a bit to go, or she is getting close? I am just looking for some comfort on others opinions as maidens are never "typical"

post-397-0-29098900-1493256766.jpg

post-397-0-18433200-1493256774.jpg

post-397-0-20017800-1493256782.jpg

post-397-0-56190500-1493256793.jpg

Are you able to take a pic from behind her so we can see how the foal is currently riding ?

As she gets closer it should become thicker like honey :)

Her "milk" is VERY thick, like honey, but clear. I held my fingers upside down and it didn't even want to drip. That is probably why I question if she is really close. To me, her belly could be a little more dropped, but since she is a maiden maybe he muscles are just holding out better? I also think she could become more relaxed and elongated, but maidens are so hard to judge.

She is doing a lot of tail wagging and butt scratching on everything. However, she also likes to take naps lying flat out......she isn't making it easy that's for sure!

Your very right , maidens are terribly hard to judge. Your right in that her muscles are definitely holding out better than a mare that has previously foaled.

To me she looks close , so id be watching her like a hawk. Her udder could fill a little more but she may not completely fill until she has foaled.

The butt scratching and tail wagging is a great sign shes getting close.

Sorry I cant be of more help

Ryan

She looks very close. Not all mares milk will change to milk color before delivery. It also can change fast.

We had a maiden two years ago go from clear sticky to sticky milk color in about four hours. Last year it didnt change until a couple hours. This year no bag and we had to give her medicine.

I would be watching her like a hawk. She could even suprise you and go during the day. Mare above foaled her first around noon.

I would watch her because she could be very close or she could be a typical mare and make you crazy for a couple days.

I agree with MMM. I've had mares foal w/i a couple of hours of milk being as you describe and also as much as 48 hours... What you are describing, to me, sounds like the "wax" that signals that foaling is close.

How is your mare doing? She's CUTE!!

Thank you all so much. This little mare is just the sweetest girl. Today she is continuing on with all of the same tell tale signs of being uncomfortable. I just want to make sure I am here to help her, so I have her under camera and continue to watch her like a hawk.

Agree with everyone......She's VERY close. And because she's a maiden, it IS tricky. Bet you aren't getting much sleep right now. LOL.

Have you considered doing a Milk Test with the liquid you're getting? It may help narrow down just how close she is..........

Go to either Walmart or a Hot Tub store and get a WATER HARDNESS TEST. I'm including a link with instructions in case you're interested.

http://www.miniatureventures.com/using_milk_test_strips.html

Sorry this update has taken so long. My mare foaled on my birthday April 30th at 10:30pm. I used the pool test strips and there was a definate change at 5:30pm the night she foaled.She foaled at 10:30pm. Textbook delivery thank goodness! She had a healthy little grulla? filly. Still waiting to decide color :)

post-397-0-12679200-1494172424.jpg

post-397-0-34475000-1494172430_thumb.jpg

Congratulations miniappluvr ! Gorgeous mamma and little girl !! Looks like a wonderful birthday present . :BigGrin